Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Duke and the King

When the supposed "Duke" and "King" came into the picture I basically thought they were going to be random characters making a brief and un-important appearance. However, throughout the chapters these two characters (who pretended to be the brothers of the late Peter Wilks coming from England) have really grasped my attention. I feel that having these two characters a part of Huck's journey has slightly changed my view of the book. From what I've read I've felt that Huckleberry Finn was a bit boring, lacking a significant boost of action and humor. With the Duke and King's sneaky agenda, past chapters involving them were the most enjoyable and interesting. Although these chapters were brief I think having these characters added to the book making it more spontaneous and less predictable. I also bellieve the Duke and Dauphin have helped better Huck's inner characteristics. I think Huck has grown to become more sympathetic and genuine. Huck has benefited from these "frauds" greatly, primarily going out of his way to do what he felt was the right thing to do. Hopefully Huckleberry Finn will continue to hold my attention and have more interesting characters as the Duke and King.
posted by Francesca D.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the Duke and the King had a very profound effect on Huck and gave the novel a much needed burst of excitement. One quote i really enjoyed was when Huck said, "It was enough to make a body ashamed of the human race." Huck was commenting on the King's and Duke's idea to pretend to be the long lost brothers. I thought it showed how Huck has learned the difference between lying to protect yourself, and lying for profit. Whether or not the King and Duke was a positive or negative influence, they had crazy schemes that I really liked.

    kayla h.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i feel the same way that when the "duck" and "King" came into the picture they had added more action and humor to the book,but ikindof felt that they was goin to be trouble in the beginning when we first read about them.

    ReplyDelete