Friday, March 9, 2007

Heart vs. Society

I have really enjoyed reading Huckleberry Finn so far. This book makes me see things very differently because I feel the things that Huck has been exposed to, at so young an age, are incredible. I like the fact that I get to see how Huck grows and matures through his journey. Especially since he’s all alone (without his parents) and is forced to grow up fast. I like the fact that even though the book was written in a different time I can still relate to Huck and his decisions. At his age and even at mine there is always pressure to choose between society and what your heart tells you to do and I love the way Huck always listens to his heart in all his situations which is something I would have done as well. I think often times Huck comes off as a racist but I really think he just sees things from a loyal point of view and his upbringing has made him think black people are there to advance the white man. I say loyal point of view because the book always speaks of how a n–* should be grateful and never leave his master and I think Huck sees it as him helping a slave is being disloyal to a white person. However, I think through this journey Huck has matured and learned that black people are people as well and they deserve to be treated well. So, so far in the book I really like the things that Huck has done and I’ve enjoyed being of his journey at least to some degree.
posted be Nateil O.

3 comments:

  1. In Huckleberry Finn, Huck goes through a lot of conscience provoking thoughts. For example: When Huck wants to turn in Jim. Huck meets to men with the canoe and then he changes his mind and doesnt turn jim in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the book huckleberry finn that theme heart vs. society plays a big role through out the book. The story huck goes against society by helping a friend get his freedom with many lies and adventures. He also go against his religion because it says that slavery is right

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you you should follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete