Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sky: Journal #1: Crime and Punishment

Journal # 1:
When I first saw the title of the book I thought of Law and Order the television series. Ying yang title so to speak Crime and Punishment and Law and Order, not that the two have anything in common but the balanced titles rang a bell. You do the crime and accept the punishment and you break the law and must follow order of trials and judges and so forth. As I started reading I got overwhelmed with tons of long confusing names, sort of like when we read “the Jungle”. This book also reminded me of Shakespeare all of his tragic books Hamlet and King Lear. In those books we knew when people died we knew who killed them it common, almost. I remember at the end of King Lear we counted all the characters who died it like it was no big deal.
Just this once the spin on things to look at a murder from the opposing side is fascinating. To hear the murders torment of what he has done. And for once not look at death as something someone had to do to get a throne or get ahead. Maybe this also has to do with the different time periods in which the books are taken place and when they were written? I am not sure why Raskolnikov killed who he killed maybe for the same motives as in Shakespeare. But at least this time we can see the murder suffer some sort of punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment