Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Melody's journal #2: A Streetcar Named Desire

Ignorance is probably the key word for scene five. When Stella took Stanley back after him hitting her the way he did when he was drunk was one of the worst things she could do. Domestic violence shouldn't be done to anyone no matter if it's the husband beating on the wife or the wife beating on the husband. I believe Stella should have thrown Stanley out after hitting her especially since he knew Stella was pregnant. I had a lot of respect for Stella when I first starting reading the book, but after seeing that she took Stanley back, I just lost all respect for her. When Blanche tries to convince Stella to live Stanley, Stella is quick to defend her husband's actions saying alcohol is the main reason for this. I would have to disagree with Stella there, alcohol should never be the excuse for any sort of domestic violence. A man should never put his hands on a women especially one pregnant with his child.
Of course as I kept reading more of the book I quickly saw what sort of person Blanche really was. Blanche seems to be very insecure about herself. When the young man comes to collect the donations Blanche doesn't have the money to give it to him, but she kisses him softly on the lips. I thought that maybe Blanche did this because she's very insecure and feels old considering she always needs people to tell her how beautiful she is. I also thought that the music playing in Blanche head might be because she's a but insane, but then I realized the music playing in her head is from when she was first married with a man whom she discovered was homosexual. She was disgusted by him "I saw! I know! You disgust me..."(pg. 96). They went out to this club and her husband was murdered right before her eyes. I believe Blanche is suffering a great deal of trauma which might be the reason why Blanche acts the way she does. Blanche might be blaming herself for what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment