Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Melody: Journal #3 Crime and Punishment

When I finally finished this book, I felt relieved. I didn't like this book all that much, I found it to be long and boring. The conversations in the book between characters left me wondering about other things and not the actual book. I think that if Fyodor Dostoevsky would have gotten to the point faster in the book I would have been way more interested, but I just wasn't. Although I didn't like the book however I found it to have lots of similarities with the characters from A Streetcar Named Desire. Blanche being a prostitute and Sonya also being a prostitute, Blanche being totally insane as was Raskolnikov, Stella being caring was like those similiar to Pulcheria Alexandrovna and Dunya (Raskolnikov's mother and sister), and Stanley was like Porfiry Petrovich and Peter Petrovich whom are always plotting a scheme to catch people in a trap. All characters connected with each other in one way or the other. Although I found A Streectcar Named Desire to be written with much more interest, I found that Crime and Punishment had much more depth in describing it's characters.
Raskolnikov becoming sick and fainting at the mention of the case made him seem very paranoid. It was pretty obvious that by the end of the book Raskolnikov's conscience would drive him to commit suicide or confess to the murder. I found it better he had confess and not committed suicide seeing he'd already killed two people and killing himself wouldn't do any good. In killing Aliona, I found that Raskolnikov wanted to feel a sort power like Napoleon did in conquering so much land. One thing wrong with his little theory was that Raskolnikov's conscience drove him insane while Napoleon who's need for control and conquering lead him to success, of course like both Raskolnikov and Napoleon all things come to an end. Raskolnikov confessed and Napoleon's hardworking dynasty quickly went to shame when he tried to conquer Russia. "It was I who killed the old pawnbroker woman and her sister Lizaveta with an axe and robbed them."

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you! This book was horribly long, for a message that could have been conveyed in a much shorter novel, with much bigger text!

    ReplyDelete