Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Melody's journal #3: A Streetcar Named Desire

When I finally got to the end of the book I was both shocked and disgusted. Stanley's actions throughout the book have been rude and aggressive, but after raping Blanche, I just couldn't believe he'd actually go that far. I felt bad for Blanche more than ever. A woman that didn't mean no harm and just wanted to feel loved where ever she went, didn't deserve to be treated the way she was. I knew Blanche was crazy, and probably suffering from trauma after seeing her husband die, but having go through what she did with Stanley probably just made it worse, "We've had this date with each other from the beginning!"(Pg. 130). Stanley is sick and an alcoholic, he should be sent to rehab or even prison.
Blanche is a very vulnerable woman. She always needed to be taken care of, she was never the one to go and take care of herself. When there's a problem she always runs and call someone for help like her friend Shep Huntleigh. Mitch was her savior of course, she thought he would be the one to take her in his arms, marry her and live happily ever after."Yes-I want Mitch...very badly! Just think! If it happens! I can leave here and not be anyone's problem..."(Pg. 81). Of course thanks to Stanley, Mitch didn't want anything to do with Blanche. When Stanley had told Mitch about Blanche being a prostitute I found that to be very messed up considering it wasn't any of their business. Whatever Blanche did in the past was her business and it was obvious that she wanted to change that part of her life. I didn't think it was right for her to have been a prostitute, I found it gross and disgusting that a woman like Blanche can put herself so low, but you can't blame her for being the way she is. I felt bad for Blanche when she was taken away by the Doctor. Blanche had gone through a lot and she probably just needed some help and being institutionalized was probably the best thing for her.
Over all I liked this book. I wasn't crazy about it, but it was pretty good I guess. I liked how the Stanley was very blunt at times and how Stella was caring. Blanche I believe made the story what it was. If it wasn't for Blanche the book would probably be dull and boring. I liked how I kept asking myself lot's of questions. I would recommend this book for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment