Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Jack's journals 1,2 & 3: Streetcar Named Desire

Journal #1

After reading the beginning of the play, I expect that more will be revealed about Blanche and who she really is. Something isn’t quite right about her mysterious arrival, loss of Belle Reve, and her teaching job. She keeps her stories short and offers information in a fairly general way, then becomes deeply emotional so that Stella will not ask more questions. I think the people around her are already suspicious and will continue to get more so (even Stella, who may not like to admit it but most likely has doubts in the back of her mind).

I, as well, do not trust Blanche and think she did not come to New Orleans just to see her sister. Of course, she does like and want the company of her sister, but that is not her main objective. I think she is up to no good and desires something, which probably lies along the lines of money, a place to live or some sort of help.

For example, when she needs a place to stay, she raises the issue with Stella in a sneaky and somewhat shameful way. “I guess you’re hoping I’ll say I’ll put up at a hotel, but I’m not going to put up at a hotel. I want to be near you, got to be with somebody, I can’t be alone!” Although Blanche’s statement may seem sincere and caring, she also never asked Stella if she could stay. She just invited herself.

Journal #2
Analyze a particular character’s development

Stanley is a very important character in this book. He is a sometimes loud and obnoxious person who doesn’t back down from anything and is never really afraid. He is also very inquisitive and likes to know the truth about things. For example, when Blanche tells Stella that she lost Belle Reve, Stella doesn’t ask too many questions. However, Stanley will not stand to let the subject be dropped (even just momentarily) and brings up the topic of the Napoleonic Code that exists in the state of Louisiana (where they reside) and immediately wants to question Blanche regarding this matter. Since the only matter that seems to trouble or scare him is the idea of losing Stella, and Blanche holds herself higher and looks down upon Stanley, he gets an urge to go against her.

Stanley has two sides, though. We see both the ferocious and gentle side of Stanley at various points in one scene. One night, during a poker game with his friends, Stanley drinks too much and ends up hitting Stella. Later, though, after he sobers up and realizes what he’s done, he cries out miserably for Stella (who has since gone upstairs) to come down. He gets to his knees to show how deep his sorrow is for what he’s done and a gentler side of him is unveiled. For the most part though, Stanley is rough, even towards Stella.

Throughout the rest of the book, I think Stanley will continue to have a pivotal role and be a person constantly exposing the truth. I wouldn’t be surprised if any more physical fights involving him arise as well.

Journal #3
Conclusion

After finishing the book, things have come to a slightly surprising; but for the most part, predictable end. I predicted from the beginning that eventually the truth would unravel regarding Blanche’s past. As it did, the situation just increasingly turned worse and worse. Her reputation with everyone was damaged, her relationship with Mitch fell apart, and Stanley refused to keep her in the house anymore. Blanche was more than just not telling the truth, she was living a lie. When Stanley forced her to face reality, she couldn’t cope.

It was interesting, but sensible of course, to have Blanche be taken away by doctors at the end. Although she always seemed a bit on edge and “off her game,” if you will, she never really completely lost her mind until the conclusion of the story. She truly did need the help from the doctors though.

5 comments:

  1. I thought the same exact thing when Blanche first arrived at New Orleans. I thought she was hiding a lot more than what she let on about Belle Reve. I also agree Blanche didn't completely lose her mind until the end of the story and she did need help from the doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im still reading.. should finish tonight. I will say, like Melody and Jack I also felt there was something shady about Blanche, something I couldnt figure out. I also maintain that shes stuck up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the beginning when Blanche was introduced, I knew she was up to no good, nothing she said made sense and it was clear that she came to visit to gain something for herself.
    In my opinion, Blanche was always "off her game" it just wasn't as noticeable as in the end of the book. I think it's best that she has gone and gotten help though, no one should go through what she has gone through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Blanche's character was shady, but it was a way to hide her problems from others. Although it would significantly better to just address them and have them dealt with, she allowed them to build up and eventually take its toll on her, physically (to a degree) and mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first started reading, I annotated almost immediately that I thought Blanche was portraying a fraudulent identity. Everything she did seemed phony, and I knew she had to be in some kind of trouble, otherwise one probably wouldn't just up and leave their career and residence. However, when you say "We see both the ferocious and gentle side of Stanley at various points in one scene," I completely disagree. We are never exposed to the gentle side of Stanley. He's a terribly terrible violent man!

    ReplyDelete