Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Brandon's journals: A Streetcar Named Desire

When I first began reading A Steetcar Named Desire, I decided I wasn’t going to read the back. Or watch the movie. Or even read the introduction. I had made up my mind I would just jump right into the book, with little to no background information at my disposal. This would make things all the more interesting/tricky for me, as I tried to get a feel for the characters and the setting. My first general reaction to the beginning led me to believe I would be reading a book centered upon race, primarily because of the character referred simply as ‘Colored woman’ and/or ‘negro woman’. The time period seemed to entertain that idea. However when I read the last paragraph of the beginning blurb, I realized I had been completely wrong. As the first scene moved along, I also realized race played little to no factor in the actual plot. Instead I started taking notice of the newly introduced Blanche.

From the very start my initial reaction to Blanche was that she was mean, cold and stuck up. I drew those conclusions based on the way she spoke to Eunice. She was seemingly either rude or had something on her mind and I wasn’t sure which it was. When Blanche said to her “What I meant was I’d like to be left alone”, I was disgusted. I later assumed that Blanche was wealthy, based on how critical she was towards her sister’s new lifestyle and the ‘columns’ of her home.

I even made a textual connection; The Golden Girls, a 1980s sitcom (and guilty pleasure of mine) featured a character named Blanche who reminded me [at first] so much of the aforementioned Blanche. Both were southern and both came off as a bit snooty and high class! From the start, I did not like Blanche, and especially didn’t like it when she called Stan a Pollack, something I found to be insulting and classless. Something has got to give, I think theres more to to this Blanche.

Brandon's Journal # 2- A Streetcar...

So at this point in time, its clear Blanche is not wealthy, as we learned of her “pitiful salary at the school” and the lack of money loved ones left behind. (Not to mention the loss of the Belle Reve). I still maintain nevertheless that she is downright obnoxious, and annoying. Her steady drinking habits confirm my belief that all is not well in her mind, perhaps even beyond her financial situation. I would even go as far to describe her as erratic.

When Stan and Blanche first met, I knew something was..off. The two did not seem to be very fond of each other, and Stan was automatically suspicious of the shady Blanche. Stella warns Stan that her sister has had it tough and has been through “such an ordeal”, but this does not calm suspicion. Needless to say, I have reached a conclusion that there is a “jagged edge” (so to speak) to Stan’s personality.

Brandon's Journal #3-- Streetcar

I was very surprised by Stan’s rough action towards Blanche and apparent rape. I had seriously believed Stan was a cool guy, who was street smart. But apparently, I was wrong because he flat out VIOLATED her. I started to gain a dislike for Stan, but for some reason, I still did not like Blanche anymore. –END-

Journal 3—continued from another separate day

When Mitch comes into play, I was happy that Blanche had found someone who may be a good partner. Mitch had come across as a truly good guy, one who desperately needed someone in his life, much like Blanche.

Journal 3- Thoughts from another day

So it appears to me that Blanche doesn’t really like Mitch. To me it seems she just needs someone and Mitch just happens to be available. I was especially appalled and disgusted when she kissed the young newspaper boy, and found it almost ironic that within seconds, it was Mitch who rounded the corner and came her way.

Journal 3- Thoughts from yet another day after reading

I had gotten the impression that Stan was a mean guy after his blow up at the poker game, and other actions of his. But he was spot-on correct about Blanche. He did the research, and found out what I always wondered to be true: Was there something more to her suspicious story? AND, certainly there was. Blanche disgusts me.

Final Mini Journal

After Stan put Blanche on the spot, and said he knew the truth about her past, I thought Blanche would have a nervous breakdown. As the story rolled along, I realized this was the final hoorah for her, her last stand. Her mind could not take any more, and she was on the precipice of pure insanity. I felt genuinely bad for this woman by the time I got to the very end. A doctor had been arranged to take her away, and this to me was gloomy in a way. Stella’s tears, in my opinion, were tears of sadness for her sister’s sorry state, yet at the same time I thought they were tears of joy—the entire ordeal of Blanche staying with the family must have taken a toll on her emotions. After all the arguments, suspicion and aggravation, it was finally over. That to me is why she was crying so fervently.

2 comments:

  1. At first, I wanted to like Stanley too. I thought maybe he could potentially forge a decent relationship with Blanche, for the sake of his wife. Then, it all tumbled downhill. I started to hate him, and nothing he said or did amused me. He wasn't street smart. He was straight stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Brandon and with Frances. I HATE Stanley, and hate is a pretty strong word. He's basically that lost link in evolution between monkeys and humans. He's closer to throwing his poop to solve a problem than he is talking it out. I bet he wasn't smacked enough as a child, and that made him cocky. He probably also wasn't hugged much either, because he's a chauvinist and anti-feminist. I wish they still used stocks during that time period like they did in Medieval times, because he deserves to be publicly humiliated for forcing a woman to go crazy.

    ReplyDelete