Sunday, August 29, 2010

Brandon's journal #1: Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment: the dreaded book of the summer assignment because of its length. When I read the back of the book, my opinion changed to “Hmm, perhaps I was being too harsh.” As I started reading the book, I was certain it would be a good read. One filled with suspense, and was hoping it would live up to its “thriller” expectations. It started out in a spooky/ obscure way, where the reader was introduced to the shady character (a name I don’t think I could pronounce), Raskolnikov. Dressed in shabby clothes, and apparently poor, we are introduced to his situation, one where he must avoid his land lady since he hasn’t paid his rent for some time. I noticed quickly how difficult and advanced the prose were, and realized at times I would have to go back and re-read a section. I thought it was interesting how the author kept the story suspenseful, withholding information and details before revealing them. For me the book has been rather dark and depressing. The author, I believe had foreshadowed death and the murder, yet I was still shocked when Raskolnikov murdered the old woman and her sister. He has almost, a split personality, where one side of him detests the idea of committing such a crime, while the other side of him rectifies the act. This book certainly takes a lot of thinking… and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment