Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rachel's journal #1: Crime and Punishment

The last time I read a book this big was in the 8th grade, when I read Harry Potter. After reading pages 1-10, however, I can tell that Crime and Punishment is going to be a lot more suspenseful and a lot less specific than Harry Potter. We’re introduced to a character named Raskolnikov, who has some pretty scary inner demons that he’s toying with letting out. I wish Dostoevsky could have been straight forward with Raskolnikov’s intentions. Is he going to kill people, is he going to kill himself, is he going to join a radical group, what? However, in leaving out Raskolnikov’s intentions, Dostoevsky forces the reader to read on. He basically hooked the readers with something he didn’t tell them, and made the book more likeable by adding suspense. He’s a good writer.
Just read up to page 40, and I’ve come to the conclusion that whatever Raskolnikov is planning will have something to do with the marriage of his sister to this man, Luzhin. I wonder what kind of man he is, because he is described as having money, but nothing more. So far there is Raskolnikov, his sister, his mother, his future brother-in-law, his landlady, a pawnbroker, and the pawnbroker’s sister. I wonder how all these people are going to tie into his “big scheme”. The anticipation is killing me!
Raskolnikov is an idiot. A complete idiot. An idiot, not in the sense that he knows nothing, or is unintelligent, but an idiot in the sense that he makes HORRIBLE decisions. What was he thinking? He’s a poor man handing out money so a drunk girl can go home, and making policemen think he’s crazy, and making enemies with a man who wants to rape the girl, who’s obviously violent... the only decisive conclusion I can come to is that his “terrible deed” that he’s planning on doing has something to do with money, and his imminent insanity. Hopefully I’m right. Reading on!

No comments:

Post a Comment