Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Maurice's journal #1: A Streetcar Named Desire

When I first glanced at the title of the book, I asked myself, what could the connection between the title “A Streetcar Named Desire”, and this shirtless Caucasian man be? When hearing the word desire, I thought to myself, maybe some character in this book is wishing or longing for something. Speaking of character, when I flipped to the page that address the characters, I was anxious about why certain characters are addressed by their names such as, Blanche, Stella, and Stanley, and others by race, such as A negro women, and a Mexican women. It made me wonder if there was a point or reason for the author doing this.
While reading scene one, I was introduced to characters, and started to learn more about them. I was informed that Stella Dubois and Blanche are sisters. From reading the text, I assumed that this woman Blanche must be famous and rich since the text read, “Her appearance is incongruous to this setting. She is daintily dressed in a white suit with a fluffy bodice, necklace and earrings of pearl.” (pg 15) I thought to myself that people who usually have pearls are rich or high class. While continuing reading, I characterized Blanche to be stuck up, or not used to the lifestyle that her sister Stella lives since Blanche told her sister “You sit down, now, and explain this place to me! What are you doing in a place like this?” (pg 19) I said to myself, seriously Blanche, stop being stuck up and mean, be happy that your sister has a place to stay. I was wondering if someone could give me a more in depth explanation of the history behind Blanche and a place called Belle Reve
Once I reached scene two, I started to believe that Blanche may have pulled the wool over Stella and Stanley’s eyes. Stanley brings up the Napoleonic code, and believes that whatever belongs to his wife belongs to him. I thought in that instant that Stanley was being greedy. On the other hand, he was making a good point. Stanley was explaining to his wife that, if the place had been sold, what happened to all the money, and how come she has all these fancy furs. Once I read that, a light bulb struck in my head, and made me come to a realization that Blanche may have used that money to buy everything she had. It made me think, maybe this girl Blanche is up to no good.

No comments:

Post a Comment