Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Kristina's journals: A Streetcar Named Desire

Journal #1:

My first impression of A Street Car Named Desire was literally “Oh no, not another book about love and tragedy.” This of course was me judging by only the title and the half naked man on the cover. As I read the first few scenes however, it became evident that this book was nothing like any books we have read so far. Although many themes we explored in the past were clearly present in this book, such as love, death, intermingling of races, sex, and delusion, each was explored in a whole new light. Each character within the first scene was already established and each seemed to have their own dilemma. Stella the sensitive housewife who lives under the wing of her husband, Blanche the delusional sister who seems to be too high maintenance, and Stanley, the much to macho man who seems to have a violent and shady side to himself.

As scene one unfolded we learn nothing more then each person’s relationship to the other. As I read I felt especially interested in Blanche. Her character was seemingly stuck-up and rude I remember noting this especially after reading pages 19 and 20 when she states, “What are you doing in a place like this? ... Why didn’t you tell me you lived in these conditions?” I also noted that in contrast to her sister, Stella seemed to be a much more humble and delicate character. I also found Blanche to be a very flirtatious character especially on page 80 when she addresses Stanley. After seeing how the two reacted to one another I predicted that there would be a sexual relationship between the two.

Scene three was not as interesting to me, all I noted was the eager suspicion that Stanley had towards Blanche when it came to Belle Reve. Scene three was the scene that completely bobbled my mind. It was when I began to strongly resent Stanley for what he did to Stella. I also took note of how this scene brought me back to “A Doll’s House” when it came to the superior role of the husband in the marriage. I also remember loosing all pity for Stella when she went back to Stanley. This completely annoyed me because I felt that he was just going to do it again. Stanley had just been recognized as my least favorite character!!! The last thing I took note of was the connection between Blanche and Mitch. Scene four was when I decided that Blanche regardless of her strange ways was my favorite character. This is because I completely agree with her views of Stanley which she speaks of on page 77.






Journal #2:

Okay so first thing I must say is that I read this entire book in a total of like four hours. Once I was presented with the lunacy in scenes 1-4 I knew I had to keep reading. I also felt a bit foolish for my first impression of the title and cover ( =/ ). As I read scene five I became a little perplexed. I began to realize that Blanche (my favorite character) is not a straight shooter and is clearly hiding something. This is evident on page 77 when Stanley mentions a man name Shaw and she suddenly becomes defensive. I also pick up on Blanche's drinking habit and the way in which she conducts herself around men. This all sadness me and I almost feel guilty about declaring her my favorite. However I decide that although she is a drunk and a bit of a whore she is the character which draws me in more and more.

In scene six I realize that Blanche has still not confessed her age to Mitch and I predict that this lie will be the end of their romance in the end. I am slowly becoming more and more disappointed in Blanche. I also find her story of her husband committing suicide hard to believe and wonder if this woman who seems to be obtaining a reputation of a liar for herself is actually telling the truth. Scene seven completely startles me! As I learn slowly about the life Blanche left behind I feel disappointed and find it hard to believe, but mostly because I don’t want to… I realize however, it is all very possible. Scene eight is one of the most intense scenes so far. Blanche’s past is revealed and all secrets are out. My prediction was right about Mitch and her being over however, I didn’t think Stanley would actually be the catalyst to it. As Stanley’s violence and cruelty is again observed I question not only Blanche’s sanity, but his mental stability. I thought it was ironic that such an intense scene could end in such a pleasant way…The baby is on its way!!

Journal #3:

Before I read scene nine I looked at the last scene to see how many there were. I was devastated to see only eleven ( = ( ). At this point I was contemplating putting the book down just so I could have a good read the next day, but I didn’t… I was too anxious to read on. Scene 9… WOW! It is simply mind boggling how I thought the scenes couldn’t get any more intense. I felt like I was watching a soap opera! This scene defiantly signifies the end to Blanche’s secret life and the end to her lies. This is even symbolized by the Mexican woman who is selling “flowers for the dead.” Although I know the past that Blanche has lived and that she is the least honorable character in the book I still feel that her insanity is not her fault. It has to do with the unfortunate losses she has suffered in her life, her father, her husband, the Belle Reve, and even the abandonment she suffered by her sister. I also feel bad for Mitch at the end of this scene because I can tell he really wanted to pursue their relationship.

Okay I was annotating the whole time while reading and when it came to scene ten all I wrote was “Holy “shrimp” what just happened?! Did Stanley just rape his wife’s sister?!!” This play is absolutely ridiculous! As soon as I think the action is done with this happens! I realize I am undeniably in love with this book . As I approached scene eleven (dreadfully) I wonder what could possibly happen now. The first thing that catches my eye however is the opening narration of this scene “It is some weeks later, Stella is packing Blanche’s things.” Now I just have thoughts racing through my mind… Why didn’t she leave sooner? Does Stella know what happened? Where is Blanche going to go? I decide to read on and find out. I read the scene and I must admit I was a bit disappointed. First I was disappointed that Stella did not believe her sister, although I knew it was unlikely due to her mental state. I am then devastated that Blanche is going to live in some loony house with doctors and nurses. I feel that all Blanche needed to end her fantasy life was love and care. Till the end she remained my favorite character who I feel was undermined by those surrounding her. A Street Car Named Desire would be nothing without Blanche.

At the end of the book I go back to the cover which I once found…well you know weird. I then decide that the man on the cover is Stanley… (Whether it is or not) and that the title is actually a good fit for this play. A Street Car named Desire is not only the name of the train in the book, but it also symbolizes who Blanche is. Her greatest quality is shown through this title, her desire for a new life, for love and care, and for someone to accept and forgive her.

No comments:

Post a Comment