Saturday, August 21, 2010

Rachel's Journal #2: A Streetcar Named Desire

I’m beginning to wonder if Shep Huntleigh even exists. In Blanche’s mind, he’s a loving, caring man, who is basically whipped to her every whim. In Stella’s mind, he’s Blanche’s personal Jesus, the figure she is ever hopeful for to come and give her “salvation” and take her away from the horrors of her past, present, and future. Now to Eunice and Steve- in this relationship, basically based on, well, let’s face it, makeup sex, Steve and Eunice fight basically because they can. No one really knows what brought them together in the first place, but you can be sure that as long as neither of them ever buys a pistol, they’ll stay married forever. Infidelity has long been a reason for couples to break up, but I guess back then, it was a reason for wives to kill their husbands, because breaking up was “out of the question”. I would never have wanted to live in that day and age, where getting a divorce is shunned upon, and where the only leverage you can have over your husband is getting the police involved. It seems that whenever anything goes wrong, like marital fights, the worst thing possible is getting the police involved. Was there something wrong with the police back then (corruption, unprovoked violence) that was strong enough to silence a domestic dispute to the point that a husband seriously stopped beating his wife? I wonder...Blanche is awfully concerned with her reputation. Does she think that anyone in that town cares whether she’s been a client of a disreputable hotel or not? Just another sign of paranoia- she’s worried about trifles, like reputations, clothing, and even the “glow” of her skin. I’m starting to get a personal grudge against people who over flourish and over dramatize. It’s as if I can hear their whiny high pitched voice in my sleep! If I was Blanche, I would have had a reality check the second Stella said, “[When I wait upon you], it reminds [me] of our childhood.” That’s just sad. Get a grip, Blanche!P.S. - Soda stains come out really easy with a little baking soda.

1 comment:

  1. I too wondered about Eunice and Steve's relationship. I don't see why either of them would remain together, but the ways of society at the time looked down upon separation, like you said. In addition, the Napoleonic Laws of the area they lived reduced the power women had, first seen in owning property, but surely in faithfulness to their marriage

    ReplyDelete