Monday, October 6, 2008

Sherry's Entry on Part II of Heart of Darkness

In part II of Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad, I found myself a little more interested in HoD. The details and story itself makes me more drawn to it, because it isn’t so unclear and finally it’s understandable as well as interesting.

The character, Kurtz brings a little bit of that edge that makes you rise more opinion, such as calling him crazy and profound. I actually like Kurtz’s character and am amused at how he feels everything belongs to him. Anyway, part II focuses on Marlow finding Kurtz, and people judging Kurtz for what he wants to accomplish in the Congo. Supposedly Kurtz wants to turn stations into civilizations and instate better values, as well as take the manager’s position for himself. Which is why the manager would obviously complain, but one wouldn’t complain or get worried unless they knew they were in jeopardy. Kurtz also felt that he was above everyone, calling helpers incompetent and going to these stations feeling god-like.

Like part I of HoD, I tried to connect any detail and imagery to Conrad’s history. I may have felt that Kurtz illness was of Conrad’s experience, and maybe he wanted to accomplish things like Kurtz but couldn’t because of health in the Congo. I’ve come to conclude that Conrad has spilt his experiences up between these two men, Marlow and Kurtz. I honestly feel that he created these two men from his own image and person, and expanded them to an extent he could not reach. Maybe Conrad was torn between the two personalities, sometimes feeling compassion for others but then feeling above others at another point. Such as Marlow was feeling bad for death by imperialism, and Kurtz wanting to, so to speak imperialize, change stations into civilizations. I just hope we, the reader, find out more specifics of Kurtz first hand.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you regarding part II of HoD. It is definitely more interesting as we learn more about the characters. Kurtz is a character to be reckoned with his personality, and along with Marlow's fascination with him adds intrigue to the story. I associate Marlow to Conrad- as well as Kurtz to Marlow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that in part two a lot of character's involve that make the story more interesting. Especially Kurtz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not drawn in to part II. I found the language used equally difficult, and the plot was bland other than the attack by the natives. By the end of the part, I was no longer eagerly anticipating seeing Kurtz; I was frustrated that he was just a name, with no person attached to it yet.

    ReplyDelete