Friday, October 10, 2008

Michael's Entry on Part III of Heart of Darkness

It was in part three that I finally discovered the real connection between Apocalypse Now and Heart of Darkness. As Marlow travels up river you can't help but wonder, will he be taken in by the power the river holds? Will he be hypnotized or brainwashed by the jungle, will he be taken in by the darkness like Kurtz was? I recall wondering the same thing while watching the movie. Will Martin Sheen's character follow in Marlon Brando's footsteps and conform to the dark truth of the jungle? Luckily, I can say that in both the movie and the book they did not. The same cannot be said for the other two men however.

Also, I see a connection between Kurtz and Brando. People had respect for Brando's character, he was a decorated General who was the least likely to go AWOL and turn on his position and his country. Meanwhile Kurtz was regarded as a known man. A man who was thought highly of, an almost Godly reputation if you will. Yet both men were down sized and killed like normal men.

4 comments:

  1. You made a very nice cennection with Apocalypse Now and Heart of Darkness. Connection about Marlow's journey and river and jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sadly I haven't seen Apocalypse now, but it's impressive that you made a connection between the two right away. The weird thing is that I never actually thought that Marlow might end up as Kurtz, probably because I already see him as the narrator, which kind of ruins the suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, when I read a part of your journal aloud to my mom she right away said "apocalypse now" so you must have nailed the connections. =]
    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, Michael, you made me want to watch that movie and then reread the book, no lie. So Brando ends up finding himself in the jungle like Marlow, rather than ruined by the darkness?

    ReplyDelete