Friday, October 10, 2008

Katie's Entry on Part III of Heart of Darkness

Part three was exactly what I expected it to be, boring and confusing. I really didn't enjoy this book and had trouble keeping up with it. In this chapter the Russian trader begs Marlow to take Kurtz away quickly. He describes to Marlow his first meeting with Kurtz. He tells him that Kurtz and the trader spent a night camped in the forest together. He tells him that Kurtz talked about many different topics. In this part Kurtz threatens to shoot the trader over a small stash of ivory. I thought it kind of weird that despite the fact that Kurtz tried shooting him he still insists that Kurtz is a good man that shouldn't be judged. I really wish I had some interest in this book because I'm so lost. This book isn't interesting and confuses me with all the descriptions and it's just not clear. Conrad doesn't fully describe things and it seems to me he wants the reader of Heart of Darkness to come up with there own meaning of the book. Conrad doesn't even let the reader know how Kurtz died. His death is one of the only things that is not described. All we knew was that an African comes into the room and tells everyone that Kurtz is dead. We have no idea how it happened or what happened. All I can say is this really was not the best book

4 comments:

  1. I think darkness mension as imperialism.I also like this part in part three about darkness "The brown current ran swiftly out of the heart of darkness, bearing us down towards the sea with twice the speed of our upward progress"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought part 3 was interesting and moved along quite well. I thought that the lack of information regarding Kurtz's death just leads to multiple interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I agree with Josh, it was an interesting chapter. I enjoyed it alot. You can kind of understand why Kurtz died, he's just plain out sick as hell. So it's expected of him to die on the bed in the steamboat. It already stated that Kurtz's health was failing as they were leaving the Congo in the passage Jihyun mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would have to disagree i felt that it was way better than the first two part's it was not so much as a narrative and more of a story. i got into part three more.
    some parts were hard to understand but i still liked part three better.

    ReplyDelete