Thursday, October 2, 2008

Josh's Entry on Part I of Heart of Darkness

After reading Part I, I have mixed feelings about this book. Conrad drones on and on when Marlow tells his story of the time when he became a “fresh water sailor.” All of the imagery Conrad uses during this time could be helpful later on, but it's very dense and a lot to grasp at one time. I found myself reading pages multiple times in order to fully form a picture in my head. In fact, I struggled to stay awake while reading this passage, and it really made it difficult for me to get into the book.

I found it strange that the people on the yacht, besides Marlow, have no names. Instead, they are called by their occupations, like “the Lawyer,” or “the Accountant,” and “the Director of Companies.” Whoever they are, their careers bring in a respectable amount of money; it might just illustrate privileged people being able to play dominoes on a boat, but I have a feeling we will find out exactly who they are and what they're doing there later on in the book.

8 comments:

  1. After going over the questions that we did today in class it's impressive that you picked up on the people on the yacht. While reading I didn't even think of them I just thought it was odd and moved on however you make a good point. They are known for those titles for a reason, Conrad made that choice conciously so it's only a matter of time till we see what purpose it fulfills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about all the imagery used in the book. Although it may be appreciated later, for first time readers it seems a bit excessive.
    You do bring up a good point about why the people on the yacht have no names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't quite think of it as odd that they were only mentioned by title, I did fine it weird however that they weren't described in as much detail as marlow was.
    Of course after class, those reasons became slightly more clear. It is still strange though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is interesting how Conrad named these men after their positions. I do agree that they have some significance that we will read about later on in book, otherwise Conrad would have plainly gave them regular names. This also adds to the eerie yet trust worthy feel we have for Marlow, giving me mixed feeling about the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also had mixed feelings after reading part I. the characters are not easy to connect with. I guess after reading C&P and ASND, we are so used to stories that contain dialogue and interior monolgues. This story is told in one point of view, whether it be Marlow telling about his experiences, or the other anonymous narrators, who tell what they see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that you did raise a good question about the men on the boat and their positions. I'm not sure they'll play a part later on though, I think Conrad might leave it for the reader to make his/her deductions on what their purpose is there and what they represent, but I might be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with bobby, all the imagery is a bit excessive. I also must say I think that the people on the boat will represent something I jus don’t know exactly what yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacey, you made a good point about dialogue. I think that's one of the things that throws me off in HOD, the lack of dialogue. I think that it's much easier to follow than a long, droning monologue.

    ReplyDelete