Thursday, October 2, 2008

Julie's Entry on Part I of Heart of Darkness

There were many times throughout reading the first part that I just felt like skipping over several pages. This was either when Marlow decided to go off into a little side story. Like When he was a child and want to visit the north pole, or when he wasn't into crazy detail about something that (Seems) unimportant. Maybe it will come into play later, but as for right now, Its probably just him talking about one thing he remembers because he liked it.

In the beginning I found it interesting that the narrator describes Marlow physically, and he doesn't for the other's on the ship with them. I guess the narrator likes him on a more personal level. Also, his description of other ships that have sailed in the past, I found totally pointless. In fact, I found a lot of details could have been left out.

I don't know, right now its a very annoying story. Not a bad one, I can see and appreciate all the imagery, its just annoying after a while.

5 comments:

  1. I felt the exact same way, so many times i felt like just skipping the boring description of unnecessary details. The language is great, but a lot of the time I felt like Conrad was just digressing or just trying to make the book longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Tsvetan said it was kind of confussing at first about the narrator also description of backgroud of sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I agree with Tsvetan about Conrad just trying to make the book longer. All the descriptions and details are very annoying and make me not really pay attention to what I’m reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have to agree with you that the story is very annoying, but i think i started reading the book with a bad attitude because of how much bad comments i've heard about it. the use of imagery actually helps me understand the story better, but i have to admitt that sometimes it seemed excessive and unnecessary. my most memorable imagery was of the people who were dying and when marlow gave the guy a biscuit because he couldn't think of anything else. what i hate are the imagery of the rivers and vegetation, it's just so dark to me. i think the story definitly has many profound themes which should be explored, but i wished Conrad had made it a little more interesting. Anyways, i hope i survive by the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i felt the same way in reading it i was so not intrested in what i was reading it was boring.i found myself having to re-read pages over and over because i didn't get what was going on.
    i think that marlow telling his sid story help pull me back into the book.

    ReplyDelete