Sunday, October 5, 2008

Everett's Entry on Part II of Heart of Darkness

I'm pleased to announce I had a slightly easier time following this part of the book. The first part confused me so much, honestly. The diction and all the details overwhelmed me a lot, and this chapter seemed a little bit simpler to follow with. I'm still struggling to get into the book though. In order for me to really graps thoughts and find some deep meanings I really need to find a common ground between the characters or author and myself, and so far I'm at a loss.

I've been following with Corad's writing and not getting lost quite as often, but I still find myself really stuggling to understand some of what occurs. For example, the very beginning of this part, Marlow is seen eavesdropping on the manager and his uncle. They were discussing some private business and making themselves sound pretty bad, and they completely disregarded him when he appeared to them. I do, however, think that Conrad intended to keep readers confused. Similiar to what we discussed in class about his use of strange and outlandish events. Why wouldn't someone be punished or threatened for listening in on a private conversation, especially on a ship where the people you are listening in on are discussing the deaths of so many of their men with complete ease and no remorse. Not what I would ever expect. It honestly made me stop, scrunch my nose, and go "Whaaaat??"

Another part, really big part of the book, that I'm missing out on is who Kurtz is. I'm embarassed saying it, seeing as the other blogs show no signs of confusion, but I honestly I have to admit to finding him a big mystery. I get that he once worked for or with the manager and now threatens his position or business or something along those lines. And I know that Marlow, though set on killing him with the manager is intrigued by him and not happy to kill him. Why he's important, his role, and everything else there is, is honestly beyond me. I hope we talk more about him!!!!!!!

One thing though, that I did take out of this, is obvious character development in Marlow. We established in class that "current Marlow", telling his story, is not a lot like the "old Marlow" that he tells us about. But as part II progressed I saw a lot of wisdom and maturity in him, that I didn't see in Part I. For example, on page 106, we read a passage about the wilderness. It's portrayed as "thick" and "heavy", "mob", "riots", etc. It's a powerful and frightening place. But Marlow says:

"I got used to it afterwards; I did not see it anymore; I had no time. I had to keep guessing at the channel; I had to discern, mostly by inspiration, the signs of hidden banks; I watched for sunken stones; I was leaning to clap my teeth smartly before my heart flew out...."

This quote shows us how much he's grown. Such incredible and intimadating places don't phase them the way he did. He was becoming the Marlow we see telling the narrator this story.

2 comments:

  1. i what you mean about the character Kurtz i don't know what he really is about as well. i hope that more is reveled about him as the book goes on.
    i also agree that this part was better to understand and more of a focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not feel bad about not knowing who Kurtz is that is how I feel. I can't follow anything about him for my life, I have no idea why he is there or why he is so important. You are right about Marlow's growth as a character. He seemed more in control and focused about what he was doing. In the first part he was just there observing now he is taking charge and being his own person. Great observations all that I agree with :)

    ReplyDelete