Sunday, October 5, 2008

Julie's Entry on Part II of Heart of Darkness

This book really isn't doing anything for me. I find the story rather boring. And it isn't getting any easy to understand.

I understand as to why Marlow needed to mention the Manager and his uncle, but why go into such detail with them? Who cares what they look like. And why mention the other parts of their conversation, like why the uncle is sick and such?

Marlow's description of the darkness that surrounded the boat as they were "Crawling" along the river I found interesting. I think that that one passage describes the entire tone of the book very easily. It even describes the way the book reads in some ways; Its creeping along slowly and its very dark.

I think his description of the "prehistoric" men were somewhat boring. I mean, its supposed to be an exiting thing, and yet it reads like Marlow is describing a dish towel.

Maybe its just the way Conrad writes, but I feel like If I were sitting there listening to the story, I would be falling asleep.

Again, It's not as though I don't appreciate the writing. The descriptions are very vivid and you can very easily get a clear
picture of what Marlow is seeing. But when listening to the story, I feel like the surroundings aren't the most important thing, its the story itself.

5 comments:

  1. I know exactly, exactly how you feel. I started reading this hoping it would get a little bit better which it did but really I just don't get the point of it. It's boring and doesn't seem like it is going anywhere. Everything you wrote here is exactly how I feel. I feel like the story and purpose is so much more important than all the other little things he talks about, I just don't get what they bring to the main point which I still don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i definitly have to say that this part of the book was easier to understand and focus on than the last part. i agree that the over description is really annoying sometimes but it also helps to understand the siatuations. i felt the same way about part one that you do now for part two. i'm glad i'm actually being able to focus though. by the way, this is definitly the boringest book i've read in my life along with A Tale of Two Cities,but i think i was just too young to understand that scince i read it in the seventh grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story appears to be based on descriptions especially on a geographical level. The surroundings are extremely important and adds to the whole vibe of the story. I agree with Marlow's description of darkness. It does indeed set an important tone to the story. The journey is a very slow process and views life through the eyes of it's narrators.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think may be a lot of description, imagery and image just make reader kind of hard to understand. But, same times it will give clue to the story. I think Conrad uses a lot of description to descibe his own journey into the story in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, I get you!! My brain gets like jumbled trying to follow. It's just a level above what I;m used to, and I get easily overwhelmed. I do though, appreciate how he writes. It's very unique and obviously effects a lot of people. I admire him, how passionate he obviously is about the topic and how vivid he makes. It must be very real to him. I guess, none of us have ever experienced it before, something so different from Streetcar. Haha.

    ReplyDelete