Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Michael's Entry on Part II of Heart of Darkness

Is there a prequel to this book? Is there an encyclopedia, maybe a random facts of seafaring pocket book? Is their anything that makes this book easier to deal with. I understand Conrad is a distinguished scholar but he really went the whole nine yards in terms of facts and information that need to be known to better understand this book.

On there other hand I have been able to successfully connect the characters with the ones in Apocalypse Now. It is clear that Kurtz in the book is Marlon Brando in the movie. Brando goes insane and treats the natives like he is there god and they are his slaves. He lives in cold solitude and whatever he asks for they get. Now that I have found a connection this book seems a little more enjoyable.

5 comments:

  1. I do agree that you need to be aware of certain things about history to actually get the full effect of the book. I won't catch on to themes or the whole purpose of the book if I'm not aware of everything he's stating. It is causing some problems when I'm reading along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg my comment is the one above...Just so everyone knows. I want my credit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make some interesting points. First to answer your first question, I don't think there is one but maybe (and this is just a thought) that the first story featured in our book might be a prequel, but i doubt there is anything that would make the book easier to read.
    Second, you do have a point about the "apocalypse" of the book. I see the greed of Kurtz become his inevitable down fall. But the part about Kurtz being Marlon Brando, I would never have thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol Sherry you are mad funny. I agree as well that you need to be aware about the history to get the full effect of the book. I also agree with Bobby I would have never thought of Kurtz as Marlon Brando.

    ReplyDelete