Monday, October 6, 2008

Katie's Entry on Part II of Heart of Darkness

I must say Iʼm still not really into Heart of Darkness. I am still having trouble concentrating and enjoying this book. I mean yes part II is a little better this really is my type of book. I liked the conversation between the nephew and uncle. I found it interesting that the mangers uncle easily told him to have that man hung just because he didnʼt want anyone to challenge his authority. The manager also complained that Kurtz came to the Congo to turn the stations into encouragement for civilization. He also talked about how Kurtz wanted to take over the manager's position. Some parts of this book got my attention wile others put me to sleep. I wish this book had fewer descriptions and was more about the story itself. I mean the writing allows you to see whatʼs going on and allows you to visualize whatʼs happening but I think itʼs too much. All I can say is, I hope I get into this book sometime soon because all I am doing so far is falling asleep.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah the book is too drawn out. I'm pretty tired of it by now...the descriptions are just making his story longer but not better. Some writers fail at making a really interesting novel because they drown it out just to make it a longer one. HoD probably would have been a good short story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found the conversation between the uncle and nephew interesting. Marlow described it as bizarre which is also true. I find it strange why the uncle said for the man to be hung for challenging authority.
    The part about Kurtz is also important. It shows how he influences the other characters and how, indirect, affects Marlow himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree that Part two was much better than part one. It had more influences of characters also conflicts. Also, part two starts to more focus on Imperialism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one thing that I have realized is that in order for this book to progress, lots of details are necessary. Though they are very boring, we have to remember that this story is being told to us, from a person who had it told to them. These details may have been the only thing that that really stuck with the non-Marlow narrator.

    ReplyDelete