Sunday, October 5, 2008

Bobby's Entry on Part II of Heart of Darkness

So far in the novel, there have been moments that have surprised me. One is the mysterious fire wood incident. I found that to be very ominous. What was the writer alluding to and what was the warning meant for. I think that small incident was forerunner an even more surprising event: the attack on the steamboat by the natives.

I also started noticing the significance of the character of Kurtz. This man is obviously an important figure for everyone seeing as how he affects many of the characters that we have met like the chief account and the manager. Also the whole goal of Marlow’s trip up the river is to meet Kurtz. I did not think much his impact on Marlow until when he thought that Marlow was dead; he said “I couldn’t have been more disgusted if I had traveled all this way for the sole purpose of talking with Mr. Kurtz. Talking with … I flung one shoe overboard, and became aware that that was exactly what I had been looking forward to- a talk with Mr. Kurtz.” Clearly Kurtz is indirectly influencing Marlow just like the other characters.

4 comments:

  1. I agree there is something very important about the character Kurtz. I would love to know why though. Half the people who talk about him haven't met him and believe only what they hear. He indirectly influences people but why, what is so special about this mysterious person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i definitly agree about the firwood incident. i think the tension really comes out between the natives and the invaders in the scene where they beging fighting. i'm also beginning to feel that kurtz is going to be a big part in he book, though he's character remains mysterious. i wonder why Marlow wants to meet Kurtz so badly, and why are the manager and his uncle so against Kurtz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kurtz is definitely a mystery man. He has some sort of affect on Marlow. Perhaps it is becuase Marlow relates to Kurtz on some levels. Kurtz appears to have a dominate personality, and his expectations of society are ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous, is the fact that Marlow seems to make excuses for Kurtz's insane behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think that character Kurtz is mysterious sametime will affect the character Marlow in the story.

    ReplyDelete