Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sherry's Entry on Part I of Heart of Darkness

In part I of Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad, I’ve come across such literary techniques that compliment the novel. Some of the literary techniques I found were imagery, diction, selected detail and characterization. Even though the beginning is interesting and draws the reader in with the use of imagery, I felt his diction was a little challenging to understand and follow throughout the story. However, we have to consider the fact that it was written at a different time period and Conrad’s first language was not English.
Upon reading, I kept in mind all of the research I had done to compile a resume of Joseph Conrad to see if I could interpret any connections between him and the characters. Likely, I found some aspects of Joseph Conrad in the character, Marlow. For instance, Marlow told the few men that were on deck with him that he had previous experience sailing on fresh water (page 70). Joseph Conrad wrote Heart of Darkness after settling in the Congo for a few years, even though written in England, due to his poor health and had already been in the French merchant marines and British merchant navy. So I felt that Marlow was now coming to the Congo and wanted to share his experience with the crewmen, like Conrad may have; showing Joseph’s proud stature. Joseph Conrad’s use of imagery comes from his past experiences of the Congo and is incorporated in the surroundings of Marlow’s environment. It’s better to write a novel of a specific place, such as the Congo, after having personal experiences because it enhances the effect the novel has onto the reader and is well supported by facts. One other similarity was that Marlow had spent time in England to rest from the “Indian Ocean, Pacific, China Seas-” adventures and that’s where Joseph also rested after his tiring adventures (page 71, http://www.online-literature.com/conrad). Marlow also had interest in becoming captain of a steamboat, which Conrad had accomplished when reaching the Congo and becoming ill, so he contracted for captain.

I also noted that Marlow was a traveler and seems to be characterized as someone who loved to sail the sea but he was a “wanderer” (page 67). Meaning it wasn’t his life and he didn’t spend most of his time at sea like Conrad had, it was interesting to me to find similarities but differences as well. At first I felt Conrad would have incorporated himself into Marlow, with slight differences such as different stories. However, I feel after reading into Part I more, that maybe the significant differences in Marlow may be things Conrad wished he had done or choices he should have made in life. There was a specific excerpt, “then I began to look for a ship- I should think the hardest work on earth. But the ships wouldn’t even look at me…” which caught my eye (page 71). Did Joseph Conrad feel deprived, or maybe neglected in some sense?
Joseph Conrad incorporated his love and life into Heart of Darkness, almost like an implicit autobiography.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said, Joseph Conrad's first language wasn't English also it was written in differnet time period. May be that is why it was hard to understand his diction. Not only that bascially we have two narrator telling the story. That seems kind of confussing but same time we can see differnet point fo views

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that I can see as well. I like how there are two narrators because it gives us a chance to see the whole picture. There must be a point to the use of a story within a story.
    Thanks for reminding me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree it was writin in a diffrent time period.
    i felt that it was a hard to understand what was going on because of the diction.

    ReplyDelete