Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chloe's Post on Part I of Heart of Darkness

I was excited to start this book after the endless Crime and Punishment however now I wish I could go back. This entire part was difficult for me to get through. It wasn’t confusing or anything just very tedious. I don’t like the fact that it’s primarily a monologue I would prefer more dialogue and interaction between characters with some action taking place. There is some interaction but that too is limited and consists of just very lengthy conversations.

Conrad is very big on using imagery and detail to create his story. This is part of the reason it’s difficult to get through, there are just paragraphs and pages of just the setting and getting the reader ready for what’s to come. I don’t really see where the story is going yet, I don’t understand why Marlow is telling others this story or what is so important about it. I do want to keep reading just to see where this story is headed and what impact it will have on me if it has one.

Due to not being entertained by the book I came up with thoughts that maybe some one can help clarify for me. I want to know what makes a book such as this a classic, what about it makes it exemplary to teach in schools? I am sure it is a great book for some people but so far I would never read this on my own.

One thing that I did like was on page 68. Marlow is talking about all the different people that have lived near Thebes and how much history exists in one place. It really touched me and made me realize my place in the world is insignificant in the scope of things; it’s a very humbling experience. Not only that but it shows how the human race is very fleeting but nature is forever and bigger than all of us. “We live in the flicker,” (pg 68).

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your second paragraph, as Conrad bored me with his descriptive language. I did find, though, that it reflects Marlow's ability to recall very specific details, and it proves that this experience was important to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it's a big school book because of all the history brought up. All of this devine right and racism gives us maybe some more reason to get into depth. Catching all the kids interested in history and making them like english. :P

    I do agree with you're opinion on all the monologue. I feel like I;m reading soooo much on someone I don't even know yet. I think I'd have a much better understanding if I knew the current Marlow and the narrator!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 100%! The literary style of this book was so not what we are used to, especially after finishing the other two novels, where dialogue was prevalent. It is very boring to read a book that is based on first person narration and monologues. I think what makes a book a classic is the message of the story, and how well it is written. I think this is somewhat autobiographical of Joseph Conrad's life. His experiences are viewed through Marlow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with you that Joseph Conrad didn't really wite dialogue that connect with characters. Also, he use a lot of imagery ro creat detail. At first he had a lot of descriptive about the setting.

    ReplyDelete