Monday, August 4, 2008

Chloe's Third Entry on A Streetcar Named Desire

After reading the last few scenes all I could say was, “Wow” and that I feel really bad about all the things I said about Blanche. She went crazy, I thought she was just a very complex character but no, she actually had problems. She acted the way she did because of what happened with her first and only husband. He scarred her for life; all her actions were out of her control because she was so traumatized by his betrayal and suicide. It’s amazing because when going through life some have the mentality that events in their life are only fleeting and won’t affect them in the future or have a real impact. In the long run every experience a person goes through affects their life, they are emotionally and mentally changed by it whether they know it or not. The results can happen instantly or take a while; in Blanche’s case it took a few years for it to fully consume her. Her life shows that every moment counts as well as every decision made.

I liked Stanley in the beginning I found him resourceful, protective, a real man. I should have realized he was also a pig from the beginning especially when it was described that he loves “assessing” women. It was horrible that he took advantage of Blanche in the end because that is what he did. She was trying so hard to travel down a better path from her previous actions. I believe she genuinely wanted to marry and have a life with Mitch, that’s what she’s always wanted it was just hard for her to get to that place but here she had this opportunity and Stanley ruined it. Instead of hearing her out and attempting to understand what happened to her and her actions he automatically assumed it was her personality. He went and revealed her history to Mitch which completely ruined her chances and destroyed her even more. Then he goes and has sex with her, and that too is out of her control because it’s a sickness at this point.

I enjoyed this play and usually I hate plays but this one really made me think and study personalities, actions, and decisions. I love how it ended unexpectedly, at least to me it did. All the characters turned out to be completely different from what I had first pinned them as and I just never thought it would end the way it did, I truly did not see it coming. It was a great read and I would recommend it to anyone.

3 comments:

  1. I actually found Stanley entertaining in the beginning, but he proved to be a pig by the middle of the play. I just think it’s so unfair how life played so many tricks on Blanche. Blanche was so young when she fell in love and was deceived. It’s really sad to think how she lost faith in love at such an young age. Just as Cloe mentioned , what happened to Blanche with her husband had an everlasting impact on her life and Stanley was so unfair to have ruined any chance of normalcy returning in Blanche’s life by revealing her past to Mitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that a person's experiences affect their lives. In Blanche's case it all started with her husband. After that it was basically down hill from there. Stella said that Blanche loved her husband to the point of worship. If his death had such an effect as self sabotage, then maybe between Blanche and her husband was not love but an obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Chloe’s response whole-heartedly. Everything you responded to basically summed it up. This was a very tragic story about someone who becomes unwound. It was heart breaking to see Blanche be committed, while everyone looked on. The only one that showed true remorse was Mitch and Stella. It clearly was sad because it showed those two truly cared for Blanche. It’s a shame that Blanche could not accept Mitch’s love. This ending also destroyed Stella. Having to see her sister be led away by the doctor tore her up. Perhaps Chloe we should collaborate on a sequel to this play and turn it around where Blanche recovers and marries Mitch. (hahahaha)

    ReplyDelete