Monday, August 4, 2008

Josh's First Entry on Crime and Punishment

Entry 1- Crime and Punishment is the type of book that I probably wouldn't choose to read on my own. It is intimidatingly long, and it seems very dense, especially with the foreign names of people and places. Throughout the first two parts, however, I couldn't seem to stop reading. I think it had to do with the way the book was written. It's sort of like a movie, the way that I can envision the different scenes in my head draws me in, almost as if I'm in the room standing next to Raskolnikov as his life unveils itself. I can understand and feel his panic as he leaves Alyona Ivanova's bloody apartment and hides in an empty one on the second floor. And I can understand him when he tries to make sure that every visible spec of blood is gone from his person, and how he feels as though he has overlooked an obvious piece of evidence that would point the crime straight at him.

The murder itself was awefully gruesome, as double-homicide commited with an axe isn't very pleasant. I thought that killing Alyona, would have brought some peace to Raskolnikov, but the additional murder of Lizaveta seemed to add on to his guilt. The way that the second murder is described ("He rushed at her with axe; she twisted her lips pitifully, as very small children do when they begin to be afraid of something...she did not even raise a had to protect her face) makes me think that Raskolnikov later realized that he did something horribly wrong. The overwhelming stress that comes over Raskolnikov somewhat proves that a monster did not commit this crime, and that he has a concience.

The biggest question that I have about the book is what will happen to keep me interested in the plot with the murder happening so early in the story? It's a very long book, and to discuss what I assume to be the punishment for a few hundred pages sounds kind of dull. Hopefully the descriptive style of writing will keep me reading on, more because I want to than because I have to.

3 comments:

  1. Before the murder of Alyona occurred, unlike you I did not think it would put Raskolnikov at peace. I actually did not think anything could bring him down from his frantic state, (though after reading more I have found out otherwise.) Raskolnikov is a highly intelligent man, he almost seems more intelligent than the "averge Joe," and being so his mind seems to bring him down. Some people can use their intelligence to better themselves, Raskolnikov is not one of those people. I really hope that somewhere, in the next few hundred pages he will find a way to use it for his own advantage. Though I hope too that the book does not get boring since the most exciting part is now in the past. But something tells me Dostoyevsky will not let the reader down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way you do about the book, as I am reading it I can't help but think how this is like a very dramatic movie. The way Dostoevsky characterizes and elaborates on Raskolnikov is what makes the story what it is. It is the inner conflict and change that that creates the plot. When I began the book I thought the murder would be the highlight but it is the transformation he undergoes and his interaction with family and friends. It is hard to understand if he even feels guilt as he is almost completely incoherent at some points and then a genuis in others. A very thought provoking book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i began the book, that is exaxtly what i thought, it's toooo long!but i think after the murder of alyona and her sister by raskolnikov, there was so much action. the descriptive style of the book, despite being traslated kept me reading. in the beggining of the book, raskolnikov seemed like such a daring character, but after he committed the murder, he seemed to cowardly to me, he was thinking of a million ways to run away from the truth and to hide the jewelry he stole. but there is definitly redemption in his character by the end of the story when he helps others with the money because he thought they needed it more.

    ReplyDelete