Monday, August 11, 2008

Josh's First Entry on A Streetcar Named Desire

The first thing I noticed in the play was that the "colored/Negro woman" had no name. I guess that this is related to the time in which the book was written, the late-Forties or early-Fifties if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuming that black people will not have much of a role in this story, either. A larger observation that I had early on was that Blanche seems very judgmental. When Eunice approaches her, Blanche seems surprised and almost appalled that her sister doesn't live lavishly. The more she spoke to Stella about her home and her looks, the more I began to dislike her. It made me angry that she just walked in and started criticizing her sister's life. Maybe it's not such a big deal, but Blanche gave me a terrible first impression.

Another thing that upset me was when Stanley was drunk during his poker game and hit Stella. What was worse was that she came right back to him that night, and for once, I liked what Blanche had to say. I agreed that Stella shouldn't have gone back to him, especially if this is a regular occurrence. I don't understand how one can stay in an abusive relationship like that. If your safety is in jeopardy leave. Even though Blanche is meddling a little to much in her sister's life, I'm starting to respect her more, because she is only trying to help.

3 comments:

  1. I think Blanche is supposed to give you a bad first impression. Most people don't like her at first, Williams probably wrote the character to be that way.
    I agree that Blanche is only trying to help. But I think that the fact that Stella goes back to Stanley proves how much they actually are in love with each other. (This is what other people have been saying).
    Although I didn't think about it like that at first, I can see how they are able to live in the moment, and not in the past on some silly instance that everyone is sorry for happening. Why shouldn't they be together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I just want to say thanks for pointing out that the Negro woman had no name. I never caught it. You're definitely right that because of the times blacks will not play a big role in this book. However after you brought this subject up I did a little research and found something very puzzling. Williams also has another unnamed character that is referred to as "Mexican woman", but another Latin character has a name- Pablo Gonzalez, so maybe Williams simply did not want to think of names for the smaller roles or maybe their names weren't suppose to be known, however that's just my feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good observaction. I didn't find out the Negro Woman. This might be clue for the time period for the book.

    ReplyDelete