Sunday, August 17, 2008

Jihyun's Entries on Crime and Punishment

1 Journal
In the beginning of Crime and Punishment was very confusing to me. All complicate Russian names, cities names, and too many characters just made me dizzy. But when I kept getting though the book, and I started to understand more about the character especially Raskolnikov.
In chapter one shows his extreme poverty and his small apartment. In the novel these physical things show about his life, crimes, sickness, and feelings. I remembered the Marmeladov and Raskolnikov’ depress conversation in chapter two, “When one has no one, nowhere else one can go.” After the murdered Raskolinikov is thinking about what Marmeladov say, “having absolutely no where to go.” It sounds like Raskolinikov seems depress after the murder. Part one finish with the murder and Raskolnikov’s illness. The crime appears only in part one, so I assume that other parts will deal with investigating the murder and punishment.
I guess…………

2 Journal
I remember this quote in part three, “It wasn't a human being I killed, it was a principle! So I killed the principle, but I didn't step over, I stayed on this side. All I managed to do was kill. And I didn't even manage that, as it turns out.” This quote shows that Raskolinikov is not worry about whether he is murder. He can not use the crime to his success also he can’t forget about his guiltiness.
This book is not like other book that the author Dostoevsky describes the character Raskolinikov as unusual anti hero. Someone think of himself inability murder also someone think of himself as extraordinary superman.

3 Journal
I didn’t expect that Raskolinikov will confess his crimes. But, his guiltiness for killing two people, and stealing the pawned items kept remind him. The ending was totally what I didn’t think of. I thought that Raskolinikov will end up in jail all his life or commit suicide. But I never expect happy ending. But, I am very happy about that.
I think that Sonya was key important role to Raskolinikov’s life. Because of her his life changes totally opposite. I am very surprise that Sonya stay Raskolinikov’s side no matter what happen. I really enjoy this book. It was totally different than when I first read the book and after I finish the Crime and Punishment. It was the book that I never read before and unexpected characters and plot.

3 comments:

  1. I know how you felt when you began the book, that is how I felt. I kept having to go back to previous pages to figure out what was going on and if I was thinking about the right people because I couldn't keep track of the names. I feel that the Crime part of the book is obvious, but the Punishment part you mentioned. He now exoeriences these emotions and thoughts and they traumatize him to the point of being ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this book is very confusing and hard to understand. I had to figure out ways to remember everyone’s name. Chloe is right about the crime part being evident in this book and the punishment not as much. It’s pretty obvious that he was traumatized and it caused him to have problems in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. regarding your second entry, that was also a line in part 3 that stood out to me. It was somehow paradoxical in a way, and meaningful and that Rodya, is a very complex character that changes in an instant according to the events that take place, i'm sure you noticed that too.

    ReplyDelete