Friday, August 15, 2008

Michael's Second and Third Entries on Crime and Punishment

Second Entry on crime and punishment


I’m having trouble getting into this book. It’s different and goes places that books I’ve read have never gone before but I just don’t feel moved or interested by this novel. At first I had this feeling of mystery and suspense and I wanted to know the answers but now my feelings have turned into a who cares sort of ordeal. I think one of the reasons I’m having trouble getting into this book is because I usually read American literature. I find myself reading a lot of Ray Bradbury and John Steinbeck and the writing style is definitely different.

One thing I do like about the book is how Dostoevsky created an anti-hero in Raskolnikov. He is a murderer and doesn’t feature the usual hero characteristics. You know he should lose or get caught but you cant help but to root for him. I enjoy this aspect because I find it very hard to create such a character. It reminds me a lot of the movie There Will Be Blood. Daniel Plainview, the main character, is a greedy oil man who lies and cheats his way to get to the top. As the movie goes on you continue to cheer him in his fight against the town’s Priest, and at the end of the movie you realize he was the villain all along. If it wasn’t for Raskolnikov’s character I would be having a much harder time reading this novel. Hopefully it ends strong.


Third entry on crime and punishment


What in the world were Svidrigailov dream’s about and why did he commit suicide? Was he under pressure? If so, from who? Maybe he couldn’t deal with everything going on and decided the only way out was with a bullet. I found the scene and the dreams very depressing though. I thought Raskolnikov was going to commit suicide and was very surprised when he did. I didn’t think he could live with himself with what he had done, but at the same time he can’t survive in jail. He proved me wrong when he confessed at the end.

His confession wouldn’t have happened had it not been for Sonya waiting for him. What I really want to know is what was Ilya thinking as he told him the events that had taken place The murders, the stolen items, and so on. Plus did Petrovich receive any credit for his investigation even though he did not catch Raskolnikov? I really wanted Raskolnikov to be arrested but I also really want him to escape. I have said it before about his character and I will say it again. I really enjoy rooting for the bad guy and I’m happy to see he got what was coming to him. However I believe it would have been a more dramatic ending if Raskolnikov would have shot himself in front of Sonya outside the station. The hero would have fallen, along with the villain.

3 comments:

  1. In response to the questions on your third entry, I don't know exactly what his dreams are about but as for why he committed suicide, maybe it was because Dunya said that she could never love him. It seemed to really shake him up at the moment. My guess is that he always like her and despite the fact that she hated him, actually hoped that someday she would change her mind. He tried to make himself try to forget about her by being engaged to a 16 year old and spending his money around but in the back of his mind could not help but want her. When Dunya said she could never love him it must have put an end to any hope of having her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bobby that the reason he could have committed suicide is because Dunya told him she could never love him. He probably did always like her and she just never gave him the time of day. I believe once someone is in your heart you can never fully forget them. So hearing the person you really want to be with say that she can never love you must really hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i felt really bad for svidrigailov when he committed suicide. i think he really did love dunya and that's the whole reason why he took the rist that came along with the murder of his wife. he really never loved his wife, but he really loved dunya and when she rejected him, svidrigailov had absolutly nothing left of his life.

    ReplyDelete