Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mereani's Entries on A Streetcar Named Desire

The Streetcar Named Desire Entry #1

Right now the book doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere with me, but I think that a lot of it will revolve around secrets being revealed. Stella and Blanche are sisters, however it seems that Stella is more exposed to the outside world, and isn’t as needy of luxurious elements in her life, versus Blanche, according to my suspicions is that she might be willing to do anything to want to keep her luxurious lifestyle, since she grew up privileged. Blanche also seems to be a suspicious character, because her stories of Belle Reeve are only half satisfactory. It’s as though she is covering up something, I’m not so sure what though. Not only is she suspicious, I think that she is also a complicated character. The enormous strain on her mentally from handling all the affairs of her family’s deaths, must have really taken a toll on her, and that she might have suffered too much shock and strain that she slightly lost her mind, cracked under pressure, psycho in other words. . She also comes off snobbish sometimes, I don’t blame Stanley for getting mad at her, but Stan seems to have issues of his own too. He’s always throwing around his authority wanting to take control or has to in control, maybe that’s why he picks on Blanche from time to time. Also a stab in the dark here, secretly he might be attracted to Blanche. However I also think that he feels threatened by Blanche and obviously does not trust her, and maybe considers her as a rival of Stella’s attention and sympathy. Stanley does not seem to want to at all want to understand Blanche. Stella just looks like the peacemaker, trying to get the two to harmonize with each other. However she seems to truly be in love with Stan, and Stan also seems to be madly in love with Stella, and wants to protect her, however he shows this through rough tactics, this is probably due to the baby that’s on its way. However I don’t think that Blanche really understands the love that Stan and Stella have for each other, specifically the way they express their love and deal with each other, she maybe in stead envious of what they have. Making her feel alone and unwanted.


Streetcar Named Desire Entry #2

Blanche from my opinion seems to envious of the relationship between Stanley and Stella, even though she doesn’t understand how they go about doing things, seems to want to have someone as specially close to her. To offer her that same protection and love Stan awkwardly displays for Stella. Maybe because of this envious feeling, it made her start looking for love in the most unusual places; such as kissing that random young man from the newspaper. However another reason that she kissed the young man, was probably out of anxiety, waiting for Mitch, so she made a move on the young man to assure herself of her char and beauty, to see f she still got it. Another alternative is that maybe Blanche has an alter ego inside of her, which rears its head once in a while when no one is observing.

Mitch and Blanche have undergone the same thing however under different circumstances. Mitch’s experience of death was with a girl that had died and given him a silver case, and also his dying mother, who seems to live longer than expected. Blanche on the other hand has a more horrific past that is revealed to us. I think that event in time has had a horrible effect on Blanche. It seems to haunt her most of the time when she’s alone, and I think the event was so damaging to her, that it altered her mental state of mind. I mean her first lover that she worshipped like a god, turned out to be gay, and she must have been hurt by this and betrayed. But she may have also felt guilty because he was also trying to tell her something, reaching out for her help, but she just ended up killing him in the end.


I think I have already stated in my previous journal, but now I can confirm that Stanley does feel threatened by Blanche being in the house. Because he maybe thinking that she is turning Stella away from him, and doing everything in her power to break them up. That’s maybe why he was so motivated in digging up dirt on Blanche, and expose as an evil creature to Stella, so that she would start hating Blanche. Instead I think that he ended being extremely cruel to Blanche, he didn’t even try to understand where she’s coming from or what she’s been through , and just solely wanted her out of the house, so that he can go on living the way he did before she came. On a lighter note a baby’s coming yay!!


The Streetcar Named Desire Entry #3

Well, Well much has progressed through the book and now its done. Many twists and turns came from the book, which was not expected from me. Such as Stanley raping Blanche!! I was not expecting that at all, but I guess that’s what you get when you have a baby on the way and taken in a couple of beers already before arriving at the flat. My theory as to why he had his way with her was because, now that Stella’s having a baby, he might have felt that it was the end official end of his bachelor days, (although it should have ended when he said “I, do” at the wedding) so with the mixture of alcohol in his blood and the mood set and the feeling given off when he wore his silk pyjamas; he felt like a bachelor again and going for his last round at the game before he’s out for good.

Well in the end Blanche was sent to a mental hospital, in the ending scene, I think that her going there was good for her as in she’ll be looked after and receive attention from the nurses. The Three characters that really felt the hardships in that scene was Mitch and the two Dubois sisters. It was heartbreaking for Stella, thinking that she sold out her sister. I think that Mitch felt the same, but felt too much betrayed by Blanche and her past to do anything, except lower his head in shame. Stanley is another story, I think he played the villain or he devil standing there with his pitch-fork. Now knowing that the life before Blanche was right around the corner, as for Stella a part of her world had started to vanish, and ending a one life and the beginning with another, and this was symbolised with Eunice handing over the baby to her. Life will return to normal but the event of the past can not be erased.

I wonder is the baby is a boy or a girl? the blanket was blue so maybe it was a boy.

4 comments:

  1. This is in response to your third entry. You said a few things that I didn't even think of like the reason that Stanley raped Blanche. I didn't even think that he did it because it was the end of his fun days or that he was drunk, I just thought it was because he was a pig, I might have missed the obvious :). I knew that Stanley saw Blanche as a threat but I would have never thought he would have gone so out of his way in order to get rid of her. I like how you make it clear that Stella's last connection to her past is now gone, which is perfect for Stanley as now she is just in his own little world that he is comfortable in. Good thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like chloe, I didn't see the whole Blanche raped by Stanley thing going on. I somewhat agreed with what you said in entry 1, they stanley could potentially be attracted. Especially since when they first met Blanche was flirting like crazy with him. Not even considering the fact that he was married to her sister.
    I also found Stanley to be the bad guy in the end. He just wanted Blanche out of his house really not caring about her well being. I think the fact that she ended up in the crazy house was because Stella had to meet Stanley somewhere in the middle. Stanley seemed to just want to kick her out on the street, and Stella couldn't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Cloe. If you wouldn’t have interpreted this scene this way, I would have never thought of it. Just like Cloe said, I also thought Stanley raped Stella because he’s a pig, but I guess there are other reasons to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree that Mitch and Blanche share little bit same situation.
    They lost someone who were really close to. So, I do think that they might have common to each other.

    ReplyDelete