Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Michael's First Entry on A Streetcar Named Desire

When I was informed that part of my summer assignment for this class was to read A Streetcar Named Desire all I could think of was the memorable scene from the movie when Marlon Brando drops to his knees and screams “STELLAAAAAA”. I had seen the scene numerous times, including a mock version of it on the television show Seinfeld when Elaine screams it at a party. While I sat with a strong, serious look on my face I couldn’t help to laugh on the inside. All I could think of was Elaine screaming “STELLAAAAAA”. However within minutes of actually reading the book I realized I was in for much more than what that simple funny scene portrays.

For me the book really drew my attention before I was even introduced to the characters. I enjoy reading books that are very descriptive and the first page is nothing but description, I was given the ability to really see into 1940’s New Orleans and its vast lifestyle and it was on the first page that I felt the chilling spirit of the “Blue Piano”. When I was introduced to Stella, Blanche, and Stanley I realized how dramatic this book may become. I was the most intrigued by Stanley because he is such a hard character to read. He has a short temper, overreacts, doesn’t like change, and enjoys the simple things life has to offer. The perfect character to rival the eccentric, high class, judgmental Blanche, and in the middle of the two is the peace maker and voice of reason, Stella.

I can understand Stanley being threatened by Blanche’s arrival. I don’t believe it’s that he doesn’t like her but more so that he is scared she will change the way things are around his home and in his life, like an animal when it is threatened by an intruder. At the same time I feel that Stella is also threatened by Blanche’s unexpected visit because she knows that her sister can be very judgmental and is scared that Blanche will cause problems with Stanley. Stanley and Stella seem to have the same problems but deal with it in their own ways. For instance Stanley has a temper tantrum and throws things around the house when the ladies come home during his poker game with the guy’s, but Stella just ignores the problem and keeps everything bottled up.

It is here that I realize the two are right for each other. Stanley is loud, Stella is quiet, Stanley is dysfunctional, Stella keeps peace, the two have an old fashioned marriage and a rare bond, they love each other because they complete each other and they don’t even need to constantly express their love because they both simply know it. I see now why the “STELLAAAAAA” scene was so memorable, not because of Marlon Brando’s scream, or because of Elaine making fun of it on Seinfeld, but because it showed how much Stanley needs her and how forgiving she is as she slowly walks down the stairs and back into his arms.

3 comments:

  1. Funny. I had a similar experiance before reading the book. Except, instead of Seinfeld, it was the Simpsons.

    I never quite thought of the screaming scene that way. It makes sense. It is a great way to portray each the characters and really get people into the play. My experience with plays however is different and Williams's writing style is a tad over dramatic for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really made me laugh, Michael. I recall that espisode of Seinfeld, and it always makes me laugh. It just goes to show when someone hears the name "Stella", it resorts back to this play, and the profound way Stanley screamed it. The passion and despiration in his voice when he yelled "STELLAAAAAA", has made an impression in Literature and the arts. It is so interesting that when the name "Stella" is heard, people tend to relate to this impressionable line from Streetcar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That memorable moment is proof that Stanley and Stella are right for each other. Just the mere fact that Stella came back means that they both love each other very much.

    Also that Seinfeld moment is very funny and am glad someone decided to write about that

    ReplyDelete