Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mereani's Second Entry for Crime and Punishment

Well much to my amazement, there has been many interesting developments, and turns taken in the book. At first, I thought that Raskolnikov was a very unpleasant character that suffered from a mental disorder, and the consequences of being in poverty. But then there were moments in the book, where he actually showed a part of himself to be a saint, and if you squinted your eyes a little, maybe even a halo above his head. He began to remind me of misunderstood characters, anti-heroes. One character that he truly reminded me of was Wolverine from X-Men, laugh or even mock me if you may, but I really think that Raskolnikov is similar to Wolverine. As in that both are hostile towards others, do not want to be familiar with others, and usually just avoid people completely. However both hold a soft spot for those who seem to be in distress. This is seen especially when Sonya’s father is nearing his end; when the little girl came and thanked him in her own way. This is where Raskolnikov, is reborn and has faith in living his life again, and his former life dead.

The murder that Raskolnikov committed, I think at first it was just that he was merely playing with the idea of “what if” the old lady was gone. But then after hearing his thoughts out loud when at the tavern, he really thought it was a swell idea and eventually fell through with it. People do things, when in poverty that are shunned by society, but those who look down on them are those who don’t need to be doing such things to get by.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your entry. First you compared Raskolnikov to Jack the Ripper, now you compare him to Wolverine. Both times I have to say i agree with you a lot. His split personality fits that of a serial killer and an emotional animal with a temper. I would like to know how you think of these things, it is very creative! My favorite line was "if you squint a little you can even see a rainbow". I thought that was very true and at the same time pulled me in to continue and finish the article. I can't wait to read your third entry and see if you compared him to anyone else! Good entry, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same view on Raskolnikov. It was very surprising to see him come out of his state of delirium. And now that you mention that he did do some angelic things, I agree with that as well now I look back on it. Though he seemed to have committed the murders to get out of poverty, he still gave away his last bits of money to those who he realized needed it more than he. I guess he was just confused.

    I also love your last sentence, "People do things, when in poverty that are shunned by society, but those who look down on them are those who don’t need to be doing such things to get by." It really explains a lot and puts Raskolnikov in a better view from my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with your view on Raskolnikov. The fact that he is always giving his money away to people that he feels may need it more shows that he does have some kindness in his heart but then the fact that he killed the people to get that money shows that he also may have some problems. I to feel that your last sentence is really good and makes a persons view point on Raskolnikov very different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with you that raskolnikov might have some kindness in his hreat because he give away money to people who he thinks needs it. but could it also be that Raskolnikov just wants to be useful for one, because i think that he thinks that he's useless because he couldn't do much for his sister and his mother, and now his trying to make himself feel better by giving away money to help others even though he got the money by murding someone else.

    ReplyDelete