Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mereani's First Entry for Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment, so far an interesting book, it would not normally be my first choice, however I’m glad that it is a required reading, allows me to expand. Well as soon realizing that the author was Russian, it immediately reminded me of another book called the namesake, where the father of the protagonist, named Ashoke, loved the Russian writers. Especially the author Nikolai Gogol, he loved the author’s writing’s so much, that he named his son after him.

Further reading the foreword, and Part one of the book, Raskolnikov, apart from his to pronounce name, which I prefer not to attempt. Strangely reminds me of the series killer Jack the Ripper, who haunted the poverty stricken streets of London. Why? Because Raskolnikov also lives in extreme poverty as well, he will eventually murder someone and I think in future be acquainted with Sonya who is a prostitute. This is all similar to Jack the Ripper, who did a number of gruesome murders, of women, (so maybe Raskolnikov will kill a woman), and his most infamous murder was of a prostitute.

Raskolnikov, seems to be very much anti-social, but at times contradicts this by wanting to socialize, but then not wanting to again. He may suffer from a personality disorder, or it maybe the effect of being indebt and in poverty for quite sometime. His monologues, somehow always seem to be evil, but then he challenges his own resolve with even tougher questions. So I think the loneliness has driven him insane and a split in the mind.

3 comments:

  1. Your comparison of Raskolnikov to Jack the ripper was in-genius. He could definitely be compared to a serial killer, I remember during Psychology when we learned about serial killers mind sets and what they have in common a lot of things we talk about seem to fit Raskolnikov characteristics, which is very scary. I believe he kills a woman, maybe another, but I do not think he has the ability to go on a killing rampage, but who knows. When pushed anyone can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good comparison, did not even cross my mind. I picked up on the same thing that you did in terms of him and his monologues. They seem evil and very thought provoking. To me monologues also are a form of insecurity. Those who monologue look for approval, success and appreciation. It is a way to reassure themselves and get the understanding they desire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, tell me how you guessed everything almost entirely right!! Pretty smart!!! I didn't really get the relation between him and Sonya before hand but I knew right away that had some sort of disorder! He is always making this sudden and rash decisions like mid thought. Like I said in my entry, I though he was maybe Schizophrenic.

    ReplyDelete