Monday, August 18, 2008

Chloe's Second Entry on Crime and Punishment

This is a very complex story, and very sophisticated writing. It is hard for me to find just one thing to talk about seeing as there is just so much. The dynamics of the characters and their personal thoughts and actions are what really make the story. I am enjoying it greatly because usually most authors describe the setting of the story in great detail in order to immerse the readers but this is completely the opposite. There are instances in which we don’t even know what street Raskolnikov is walking on and which direction he is headed in. I appreciate this because I feel the characters make a story not where it is taking place.

Raskolnikov’s sister and mother bring a whole new perspective to the story. We discover that his sister is very much like him which brings up the question about his behavior how much of it is really due to his illness and the murders he has committed and how much is just his own true personality? If that is the case he is a very dark and unsettling character. He is very mischievous and conniving, he enjoys seeing people suffer or be uncomfortable and intimidated. I find his behavior odd regardless of the fact that he killed two people; his actions don’t seem to be that of someone who is feeling remorseful or sorry, he is crazed.

His life and story is very dramatic, I wonder if this is what St. Petersburg used to be like. It is like something you would see in a movie or on TV. The way people live and behave the amount of poverty is astounding and at no point so far do we discover any other side to St. Petersburg, it is all dark and mysterious. It is hard to stop reading, it is a huge mystery full of confusion and misunderstanding and secrets and I just can’t wait to find out what is going to happen.

2 comments:

  1. I like Dostoyevsky's style very much so too. It ironically does lure the reader in more than the average writer's style.
    Though I do agree with you on how Raskolnikov's mother and sister bring a new perspective on the story, I did not see how Raskolnikov and his sister are alike. I sought their entry to bring a much different perspective on Raskolnikov. For me, I now understand why Raskonikov finds himself to be such a Napoleon, and that's because his mother would put her life his hands completely. I believe that Dunya and his mother would do anything for him and in Dunya's case, it would be marrying Luzhin. I thought that from his family and how they felt about him was where Raskolnikov grew all of his pride and extreme love for himself. But I do also agree that his actions are not of someone who is sorry, I also believe that he is definitely crazed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the book had the same impact. I can really appreciate the unique tecniques but goshhhh... I have a lot of trouble keeping up when a new name is thrown out every page or so. I have never had to take so many notes while reading. Good practice I guess.

    ReplyDelete