Monday, August 4, 2008

Julie's Third Entry on A Streetcar Named Desire

The thing between Blanche and “the young man” shows how desperate she really is for someone to pay attention to her. As if she doesn’t have Stella, and Mitch. Mitch likes Blanche and is willing to bring her to his mother. That’s got to mean something. But stuff like kissing a random stranger is just weird.

As for Stanly ratting her out, it was a little bit mean. But it’s understandable too. Stanly wanted to find something that proved
Blanche’s dishonesty to his Stella and to anyone who trusted her. But was it really necessary for him to go and tell Mitch. Couldn’t Stanly have let her at least have the satisfaction of having one person blindly trust her? After having her former lover secretly be gay and then commit suicide because he can’t live with the guilt, I think she deserves a little something.

Of course that event probably led to the ending. Having such a traumatic thing happening to her early in life and then having to keep it together to take care of her family. Its understandable that after everything she had was lost, she would go nut-so and need to be sent away. It was an interesting story. Although I must admit, it was a tad over dramatic at times.

5 comments:

  1. Honestly I don't believe Blanche's story about her past. I don't believe anything she said, being we found out almost everything was a lie anyway. I do agree that it may have been wrong for Stanley to rat her out, but I suppose he really despised the woman along with dishonesty. Stanley, (though sometimes a bit out of control,) is a strict man of fidelity. He could not take someone as flaky and out of control as Blanche is in his life, let alone his own home. Maybe Stanley did not do a humane thing, but I believe it certainly will him and Stella to start living normally again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Nicole I don’t believe Blanche's story about her past either. I mean she’s a liar and it’s been proven that she is so it is kind of hard to believe what she says. I also agree that Stanly and Blanche's personalities clash so they can’t live together. I’m just happy Stanly and Stella can go back to living there lives normally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Julie. Blanche has certainly been through a lot in her life. I think Stanley had such hate in his heart towards Blanche, that he stopped at nothing to destroy her. I understand that Mitch was Stanley’s friend, and he wanted to protect him from Blanche’s lies. He went about it in the wrong way, and acted according to his hatred for Blanche. I think the selfish one in the story is Stanley. Stanley shows no respect for anyone, and if he truly loved Stella, he would have tried to deal with Blanche in an entirely different manor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, when it comes to how Stanley spilled on Blanche, I can't believe it was all too protect his friend and wife, there has to be some deeper motive. He hated her from the moment she came to the house and I can't help but wonder if there is something that maybe Stanley is hiding... hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think the fact that she kissed a random guy had more to it, then her being simply desperate. even though she was indecent in doing it, i feel really sorry for her because the way she was decieved by her husband, she fees like she needs to rely on men to please her. she also wants to please men because she feels that she have failed her husband someway.

    ReplyDelete