Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Michael's First Entry on Crime and Punishment

Even if Dostoevsky ignored describing Raskolnikov’s surroundings the image that I have created would have been the same just because of the dark tone this book is set in. Raskolnikov is unlike any character I’ve ever read about. He is troubled, ill, anti-social, and desperate. From what I understand he is also a fictional version of the author to some point, especially when it comes to the illness the character has become engulfed in. I am however perplexed by his “plan”. If he wants to be anti-social then fine, but what is he trying to do that will only bring more attention to him.

I am even more confused by where these emotional problems came from. One does not just start acting anti-social and cut-off. So why has Raskolnikov developed these feelings? I hope as I read on these secrets are revealed. Another major point I want to bring out is the level of difficulty this book is on. Last year’s AP students told us that this was a very hard book to follow, mostly because of the names and the fact that some things may not make sense because it’s a translation. When I first heard them I didn’t listen because I figured “it’s a book how hard could it be”. But truth be told this is probably the hardest piece of literature I’ve ever been asked to read. Maybe even harder than when I had to read from the Torah for my Bar Mitzvah! Ok well, maybe not THAT hard. It is a very advanced level and I am looking forward to the challenge!

3 comments:

  1. I got the feeling that Raskolnikov was ALWAYS a bit anti-social. He never really liked people and was always closed off. (It becomes more obvious later in the book).
    And I think that certain people go though a traumatic experience and then become depressed, and fall ill, which may have been what happened to Raskolikov.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is agood point that you brought up, as to why Raskolnikov is anti-social. I think that it has something to do with maybe a past traumatic event with his father, similar to what Julie said. Or maybe he's just messed up like the Joker in Batman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you Mike. This book actually felt like a punishment, trying to get through it. The fact that we are used to reading American Literature, as opposed to Russian Literature, could be the reason we had such difficulty. I definitely was able to follow along, however the mixed up character as Raskolnikov, was the confusing aspect of the book. His anti-social behavior reminds me of Blanche in Streetcar. Both of them being insane and felt justified for their actions.

    ReplyDelete