Friday, August 15, 2008

Bobby's Third Entry on Crime and Punishment

After finishing Crime and Punishment, I would have to say that it is definitely one of my favorite books. The ending left me wanting more but I knew that it had to end where it did. Otherwise, like the author said it would become a different story in itself. During the course of the book, Raskolnikov has been through an endless amount of torment and pain. I would not have guessed that Dostoevsky would write a happy ending. I thought that Raskolnikov would have lost the will to live in prison and commit suicide. Although it is nice that finally he was going to get better and lead a normal life, even if he still will remain in prison for another seven years. I think if it wasn’t for Sonya he would have never made it this far. She has become a major part of his life. I find it amazing that despite all the things he has done to her and everything she had to put up with that she still stood by his side.

Since the book has ended, as readers we can only guess how Raskolnikov’s future is going to be like. But there is a quote that I have noticed that might provide some insight into the future. Towards the very end, Dostoevsky says “he did not even know that a new life would not be given him for nothing, that it still had to be dearly bought, to be paid for with a great future deed…” My interpretation of that is that even though everything looks good for Raskolnikov, they are not completely out of the “woods”. There are still going to problems and issues that are going to come up, just like in real life. However I wouldn’t worry about that because at this point I’m pretty confident that he and Sonya can handle anything that comes up. Like Dostoevsky said, this is “account of a man’s gradual renewal, the account of his regeneration, his transition from one world to another”.

2 comments:

  1. I do agree that Sonya is the important role for Roaskolnikov. I was also suprise by Sonya that she stays by his side. I was also thought about same ending that you said. I didn't expect Dostoevsky write happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonya is defiantly an important role for Roaskolnikov. I think it is so good and shows at lot about the person Sonya is that she stands by Roaskolnikov. I agree that the ending was surprising, I though it was going to be so different.

    ReplyDelete