Sunday, July 27, 2008

Julie's First Entry on A Streetcar Named Desire

The opening was unlike most other plays that I have read before. As I was reading the stage direction I couldn’t help but to imagine what it would look like on our school stage, and the stage at my former camp. It was explained in a lot more detail than most other sets are explained. I found it rather odd that a script would be written in such detail when part of the fun of a play is being able to interpret everything your own way and portray that to the audience. (While still following the basic idea and story line, or course). That just stood out to me.

Overall I found that the opening was really interesting. I mean just imagine what Blanche was feeling when she saw Stella’s home for the first time. It just had to have been this feeling of udder disgust. How could someone from her family living in such a horrid place? Blanche’s character seems to one that the world revolves around her. Stella on the other hand, seems much more mellow and happy go lucky, unless Blanche starts guilt tripping her that is.

Stanley seems like the kind of person who, when provoked, can be rather, lets say passionate. It looked like with Blanche he seemed to be having an awkward conversation with someone who is meant to be family. And with his buddies, he seems like a normal guy. That’s the feeling I get from them at this point. It seems like it could be a cute story.

No comments:

Post a Comment