Thursday, July 17, 2008

Katherine's Entries on A Streetcar Named Desire

Journal #1

In reading the first few scenes of this play I found myself eager to find out what would happen next. This play is such a page turner. Scene three was a really interesting part of the play. I was kind of socked when Stanley hit Stella during the poker game. I feel that scene portrayed the European side of Stanley very well. I know that is a broad statement but being of European decent I know it is not uncommon for the men of those countries to beat there woman. Yea, Stanley was drunk when it had happened but to me that's no excuse. That's his wife and she is pregnant with their child; I just don't understand how Stanley could put his wife and child in danger like that.

It was almost like Stella was in a way brain washed because when she was talking about what had happened to her sister she acted like nothing bad happened and that it was no big deal. I don't think Stella should have gone running back to Stanley so quickly especially when he was still drunk. When she went back downstairs to there apartment she put herself in a lot of danger because you never know what he could have done. If I was in Blanche shoes I would have been very worried about my sister as well. Although Stanley and Stella seem to have some issues they seem like a very happy and loving couple.



Journal #2

So far this play is great. It's really interesting and a good read. I wonder weather the things Stanley found out about Blanche are true and if they are I think it is important they hear Blanche side of the story. I am not trying to say she owes anyone an explanation, it is her past and it has nothing to do with them so she has the choice to tell them or not. The fact that Blanche didn't tell her sister about what really happened at Belle Reve makes me question the relationship she has with her sister. I just think if they are as close as they say they are and the way they act Blanche should be able to tell her sister anything.

Although Blanche seems to have a bad past I wonder why Stanley feels the need to go out of his way to be rude to her. They seem to have a tuff friendship, if one at all that is. I think they should have a long talk and get everything out on the table, let each other know everything they dislike about each other. You never know it might just bring them closer. At the end of scene eight Stella tells Stanley to bring her to the hospital. I have a feeling she is going to be having the baby very soon. I predict that by the end of the book Stella will have the baby and Blanche will come clean about her past.



Journal #3

The ending of this book was a complete shock. I was so surprised that at the end of scene ten Stanley started to abuse Blanche. I didn't think Stanley would physically hurt her like that. Doesn't he think about how his wife as that the hospital and will be giving birth to there child in the morning? I just don't understand Stanley sometimes. I think he should quit drinking because every time he is drunk he does something dumb. The first time he hit Stella and now he is hurting and possibly rapping Blanche. I don't think Stanley is ready to have a baby, what if one night in the middle of his drunken rages he hurts the baby. He really needs to wake up and change his ways.

Scene eleven was also full of surprises. When they were saying Blanche was going to be leaving I didn't realize she was going to be taken away by doctors. It did seem like Blanche was having a lot of problems especially after what had happened between her and Stanley. I think putting Blanche away was the best thing for her; she has been having problems throughout the play and this could possibly help her. I feel bad for Blanche because she had no idea what was going on and was scared and this all happened in front of Stanley 's friends, they all saw her as the doctors tried to take her away. Over all this was a great play and I enjoyed reading it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that this play is very enticing, and without a doubt a page turner. I also agree with the fact that Stella should not have run back to Stanley after he hit her especially being pregnant. On a different note I think he gets that way not because he is drunk but it seems like it might be a mental thing because right after he didn't even remember what happened and his previous actions. He even went crazy on his wedding night. Stella ran back because Stanley's outbursts are a very common thing in that house, that was why Mitch told Blanche not to worry about it, they were all used to it. It is also the fact that Stella is madly in love with Stanley and as everyone knows love makes people stupid :). It is true that they are happy and in love with each other which is why their bad habits will never go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to your third entry, you make very good points. Stanley may not be ready for fatherhood and his drinking might prove to be problematic for the baby, but as they say old habits die hard.

    As for what you said about it being the best thing for Blanche to be sent to a hospital, I could not agree with you more. She will finally get help, not just for the troubles at Stanley's house but for all the years of her life she had to endure emotional suffering and anguish.

    ReplyDelete