Monday, July 7, 2008

Everett's First Entry on A Streetcar Named Desire

As of now, just done with Scene 3, page 62, I've been introduced to what I'm assuming are the majority of the main characters; married couple Stella and Stanley, Stella's sister Blanche, friend Mitch, and upstairs neighbor Eunice. I can see relationships in the making of being formed and can point out some behavioral qualities of the mentioned characters. Stanley clearly has trust issues as demonstrated by his reaction to Blanche's unexpected visit. He seems closed minded, nosey and difficult. I'm sure that his behavior will be a major role in determining the plot to come. Blanche seems to be the most suspicious of the bunch. Her expensive clothing and secret papers as well as strange attitude towards alcohol and her surroundings make her appear as a soon to be antagonist character. I can see Blanche causing issues and hassle throughout the novel related to Stella's marriage and more. Mitch is an affectionate and kind friend of Stanley's. His personality seems far from his friends in regards to his treatment of women and his anger.

As I become more familiar with the character's I am finding relationships between them. Stella and Stanley though very different love eachother passionatly. They seem to fight constantly due to Stanley's temper and drinking but always come back to eachother. During the poker game the brawl between them was shortlived and no one who witnessed it seemed majorly phased. Mitch and Blanche took an immediate liking to eachother and I can see a bond forming between them. But besides happy relationships other negative ones have formed too. Stanley has no faith in Stella's sister and cannot shake the mistrust he feels towards her. He is rude and straightforward with how he feels and although Blanch shows no reaction I'm thinking she will eventually.

I've also found one mention of a streetcar named desire so far. In Scene 1, page 18, Blanche has just arrived to Stella's home and is talking to the neighbor, Eunice.

Eunice: What's the matter, honey? Are you lost?

Blanche (faint humor): They told me to take a streetcar named Desire, and then transfer to one called Cemeteries and rise six blocks and get at - Elysian Fields.

I cannot figure out the sarcasm or humor in the line but I'm assuming the names Desire and Cemeteries is an insulting joke about the building. If that is the truth to the line then I can even less figure out why it would be the title of the novel. From what I've read of it so far I can not find a meaning behind the title. I'm thinking that it will be mentioned again as the book progresses.

So far, the book's plot has only just begun. Blanche's curious appearance from her previous estate Belle Reve is a main topic. The estate was "lost" and Blanche has come to recover or maybe another secret reason. Stanley's temper and issues also seem like a possibility for and beginnings of the plot. Within the next few scenes I expect to see a climax of the plot between Blanche and Stanley. Stella will be directly involved and likely hurt by whatever happens and I think Mitch will get himself unnecessarily involved. These assumptions are based on what I've learned about these people so far.

I'm actually really looking forward to finding out what happens!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment