Monday, August 8, 2011

Zanovia Pierce --Streetcar

Zanovia Pierce
Journal Entry #1: OK so I have just begun reading "A Streetcar Named Desire", and I have to say at first I was not very interested in the book whatsoever. As I read through the first few scenes my mind was changed instantly. As the main character Stella's, sister Blanche is introduced in the play I come to discover she has a way about her. She comes out of nowhere to stay with her sister for a while which raises my eyebrow as to why?
On pages 20-23 Blanche expresses two main traits that interest me. When she first arrives at Stella's house she and Stella begin catching up, but one thing Blanche says really pops out at me. "You messy child, you've spilt something on the pretty white lace collar! About your hair- you ought to have it cut in a feather bob with your dainty features." She seems very opinionated and critical of Stella. Stella seems to be the younger one of the two and always has to deal with her sisters talkativeness. Also Blanche seems to question Stella as to why she went off on her own. Almost pressuring Stella, Blanche says such things as "But YOU are the one who left Belle Reve, not I..." Its almost as if Blanche wants Stella to feel guilty about going off and creating a life for herself. Soon after reading this I find that Blanche has lost Belle Reve which answers my question as to why she is at her sisters house in the first place.
Something else intrigued me about the book though. Stella's husband Stanley. The way he is described in the book is as if he were strong and built, and macho, but also laid back and nonchalant. When he meets Stella's sister I feel he is a little too comfortable around her. In the book he defines his motto of "being comfortable" and takes off his shirt in front of her. I believe he knew what he was doing and like any woman even though its her sister's husband, she liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment