Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Streetcar- Zanovia Pierce

Journal Entry #3: OK so I finished the book and all I have to say is wow! I did not expect that at all. The ending was dark and very descriptive which made me feel what every single character felt during the last few scenes. I was really upset to find that Mitch had rejected Blanche after hearing stories from Stanley. I do believe it was just a friend looking after his buddy, but he interfered with something that could have sprung into a relationship and helped both Blanche and Mitch. Regardless of her past I think she could have become a better person with someone in almost the same emotional state as herself.
I never expected Stanley to sink as low as he did and do something like rape Blanche. Honestly I am disgusted by his character for exposing her in the way he did and especially for raping her. If you looked at it and blamed it on the alcohol intake both Blanche and Stanley I would agree that had something to do with what he did, but I do believe he was conscious enough to understand the damage he did to her. I guess in his mind it didn't really matter all that much because he probably felt Blanche was messed up as it was.
Also the way Stella just completely disregarded Blanche and took the liberty to send her off to a mental institute. In my opinion I don't think that's what Blanche needed at all. I think Blanche needed support from her sister and love from Mitch, but of course those chances are ruined due to Stanley and Stella.
All in all I really enjoyed the book as a whole and think each character had their own story to tell. Too bad they weren't told maybe the reader such as myself could have gotten a better understand of each of the characters actions, especially Blanche's.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you and I would like to add on that the only reason Stanley interfered with Mitch and Blanche was because she was gaining support from him and Stanley is too much of a dominant tyrant to want Blanche to gain support and strength because he was out to destroy her from the beginning and raping her was the final blow he made to secure his victory in their struggle.

    -Daniel Vladimirsky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zanovia, I am also greatly disgusted by Stanley and what he did to Blanche, obviously showing what type of person stanley could really be. I dont think the alcohol factored much into what he did because i feel like he obviously knew what he was doing and it was probably going to happen sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete