Monday, August 29, 2011

Eddy Diamantis - Crime and Punishment- Journal 3

Eddy Diamantis
AP Literature

Journal 3
Part Five really takes a wild turn, especially for raskolnikov. In chapter four, Raskolnikov for the first time confessed the murder to another person! By doing this, I feel raskolnikov is actually coming to terms with reality and with his actions, realizing that he is not above everyone else. He had confessed that he had committed the crime because he felt he was superior to everyone else and felt he could get away with anything but was obviously proved wrong and finally realized he is just like everyone else. This is a huge step for raskolnikov who will now possibly be able to end the suffering he has gone through by finally confessing and realizing he is not superior.
Part six really shows that raskolnikov is a stronger character than I thought and my thoughts that he would go to the police actually came true. I find it shocking when Svidrigailov tried to rape Dunya all because he was obsessed with her. However I did not expect him to kill himself. Finally it is at this point in the story where raskolnikov finally makes the revelation we have al been waiting for. Once he visits his mother, he finally has to detach from her, breaking his mothers heart since she was very proud of him and his work. During his conversation with Dunya, I feel he has not fully realized the effects of his actions when he claims he didn’t profit from the murder and if he did the murder would have been worth it, making me think raskolnikov still doesn’t see the full implication of his actions. But it is still a very strong development in raskolnikov when he realizes how much pain he has caused his family, while at the beginning of the story, rasklnikov had trouble understanding his family’s emotions, only caring for himself. When he actually goes to the Haymarket and kisses the ground I feel he has really proved to himself that reality has really set in, allowing raskolnikov to confess to the police and end the punishment he had to endure from this murder and from himself.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the fact that by confessing to the murders, he gets off of his high horse. I also didn't expect for Svidrigailov to kill himself, I'm still wondering why he did it. Maybe because he hated himself after trying to rape Dunya, and realizing that she will never love him. Even though I was disgusted with Svidrigailov's actions, I still felt kinda bad for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Svidrigailov to be such a weird character! He comes out of nowhere telling Raskolnikov he knows he's a murderer, then he wants Raskolnikov's sister, ends up marrying a 16 year old girl, and then kills himself! such a weirdo

    ReplyDelete