Monday, August 29, 2011

Rafaella Gunz Crime and Punishment 3

I was not too impressed by this book. I found it dull and at times, confusing. But it is a good lesson for people who act on impulse. Not just for murders, but anything. Clearly Raskolnikov was living in fear and guilt. He felt everyone was suspicious of him and eventually couldn't handle the guilt anymore and cracked. The character of Svidrigailov scares me a bit. He stalked Dunya and threatened to rape her even though he was engaged to another girl. Maybe it's just the time this book takes place in, but I wonder if it's normal for him to be attracted to such young girls or if he's a pedophile. All in all, this book ends on a very sad note, much like the one it began on.


1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about the book so far as well. When I first started out reading Crime and Punishment, I felt that not enough was shared about the main character, Raskolnikov and as a result was constantly guessing about who he was. In a way I'm sure Dostoyevsky intended this to happen to encourage his readers to read more into his book. A very clever technique indeed.

    ReplyDelete