Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Streetcar- Zanovia Pierce

Journal entry #2: Now that I am finally starting to get into the book I realize Blanche is a very complicated and completely out of her mind! I absolutely love it though. In my opinion, her and Mitch are a perfect fit for each other. They're both emotionally distraught although I believe Mitch has a better way of hiding it than Blanche does. They pretty much have no one, but each other to look too for the attention they both need besides the obvious, Mitches mother and Blanche's sister. When they met on poker night you could see they were instantly connected with each other and I'm very curious to see how it goes.
I digress to the poker night incident between Stella and Stanley. Why on earth is Stella going back to that barbaric, cruel man, Stanley? After the aggression and amount of anger he took out on her she still stood there and took him back, and for what? I have no idea, and I would really like to know. The worst part is the woman is carrying his child for goodness sake! I know for a fact if it were me, I'd be out of that house within a matter of minutes no matter what he said. I feel Stella's focus is not on her safety at all, but on satisfying Stanley's needs. As she talks to Blanche I can already tell Stella is almost under a spell as if she has to stay with Stanley because he would be lost without her. By the way she talks to Blanche about the situation she's very nonchalant and almost naive that the situation even occurred. She begins making excuses such as the effects of the alcohol on Stanley. I think it's absolutely unacceptable.
Leaving on that note, back to Blanche. I've come to see that she is a very animated, dynamic, spur of the moment kind of character. At the end of Scene 5 when she kisses a random guy or should I say "young man", right before she's about to go on a date Mitch makes me think "What in Gods name is wrong with this woman?" But keeps me on my toes and makes me wonder what shes going to do next and I like that quality in her role very much.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Blanche and Mitch would have been great together. But though Blanche can appear to be out of her mind, I think Stanley is much crazier than her.
    I was thinking the same thing as you when she kissed that young man... I think Blanche is just a very lonely woman searching for a new love.

    ReplyDelete