Monday, August 29, 2011

Jiordalys Figueroa Crime and Punishment

Jiordalys Figueroa
Crime and Punishment
Journal #1

I just began reading the book and so far it’s pretty good, although pronouncing the characters name makes it really difficult to read. I can’t believe the narrator, Raskolnikov, is also a murderer. I am actually having difficulties expressing my feeling towards our narrator because although he did commit a sin he also left money, which he needs, to Marmeladov and his family.This book is actually really interesting, I am already curious to know how everything is going to turn out; is Raskolnikov going to be able to take his sin to the grave or is his brother in law going to discover it?
One thing that is really bothering me is Marmeladov, a man who seems like he has potential, due to alcohol, is allowing his daughter to prostitute herself in order to support her family! Where is his dignity?! Forcing his daughter to make illegal money, why doesn’t he just go find another job?

Jiordalys Figueroa
Crime and Punishment
Journal #2
When I first began reading the book I didn’t really like Raskolnikov, however, I am now starting to feel sympathy towards him. I think he does regret killing the pawnbroker, Alyona Ivanovna, and her sister, Lizaveta, and therefore he is having hallucinations and got really sick. I also think that is the reason why he is so bipolar with his family. I find it kind of strange actually that Raskolnikov is nicer and more supportive to the Marmeladovs than his own family. Although Raskolnikov’s sister, Dunya, as well as the whole family, would have benefited from Dunya’s marriage to Luzhin, I am glad that Dunya ended the engagement; she should marry someone because of love not money.
I am really enjoying this book! So many things are occurring. Marmeladov’s memorial dinner was a complete mess! People are so disrespectful, how dare they show up drunk, and then on top of that, Luzhin has the nerve to accuse Sonya of stealing money from him in her own father’s memorial only to embarrass Raskolnikov? He needs a life. I wonder why Nikolai confessed to the murder that Raskolnikov committed, that was really unexpected. I can’t wait to see how everything turns out!!

Jiordalys Figueroa
Crime and Punishment
Journal #3

What a tremendous ending! First of all I came to the conclusion that half of the characters in this book are crazy! So many people became mental and eventually killed themselves, such as Raskolnikov’s mother, Sonya’s mother, and even Svidrigailov, however, I believe everything turned out the way it should of. Raskolnikov, after revealing his dark secret to his mother and Sonya, eventually confessed to the cops, and thanks to his mental problems and past good deeds, only served eight years instead of the death penalty. I am very glad that Sonya instead of moving on with her life and starting a family with someone else moved near the prison that Raskolnikov is in to stay by his side and visits him frequently. Although many people died, overall I think it was a very happy ending.


2 comments:

  1. I liked journal three the most and I totally agree with it, I like how the book had somewhat of a happy ending. I like how the fact that he begins to read the New Testament when he's in jail signifies that Sonya has had a big influence on him. He finally gets it together even though he's in jail, and although it doesn't say he gets out of jail anytime soon, and we still don't know what happened to him, but how the narrarator says that he's basically being renewed and that's a new novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jiordalys i completely agree with what you say in Journal 1 about how Marmeladov lets his daughter be a prostitute! when i read that part i was completely shocked because he is only making his daughter do that for money and i was disgusted!

    ReplyDelete