Thursday, July 28, 2011

Rafaella Gunz

The ending of this book really surprised me. I honestly did not expect this book to have such a dark ending. I feel there's so much left unknown about Blanche, so much I'd be interested in knowing. This book was unexpected in other ways as well. I didn't expect Stanley to rape Blanche and I would never suspect Stella to turn on Blanche like she did. It was harsh sending her to a mental hospital. I don't believe she was mental, just troubled because of her past experiences. I feel if this story took place today, Blanche would be seen as normal and would probably just go to therapy. Maybe because it was set in a different time, people considered her to be crazy.

-Rafaella Gunz

3 comments:

  1. It was almost as if Stanley made her mentally unsound. Although Blanche had issues in the beginning of the play, she was more or less content with who she was and I didn't see her as crazy or mentally disturbed either. It was Stanley who exposed all of her faults and insecurities and drove her over the edge and into a damaged mental state.

    -Daniel Vladimirsky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the ending was very surprising and it was such a quick read I felt I didn't really know any of the characters as well as I wanted too. People in Blanches position back in those days were considered mentally ill and I agree she was a little emotionally disturbed, but not enough to send her to an insane asylum. I feel Blanche was so mistreated in the book and what she really needed was her sister, Stella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With Stanley's background of physical abuse and sexual mannerisms, I wasn't really surprised when he raped Blanche. I agree with you in that I thought Stella would have a more difficult time letting go of her sister rather than quickly send her off to a mental institution, but Blanche did express various common characteristics that someone who suffered from a psychological disorder would have (such as the strong impulse to express your emotions through physical contact-her kissing the young man collecting for the paper at the door). I also agree with Zanovia in that Blanche was mistreated and required not just guidance, but support from her sister Stella, however Blanche was already on the road to becoming mentally ill.

    Max

    ReplyDelete