Monday, July 25, 2011

Jessica Gubankova

Journal 1: A Streetcar Named Desire
As I start to read A Streetcar Named Desire, it doesn’t seem to draw me in. It starts randomly in a town in New Orleans, and some guy named Stanley throws meat at his wife Stella. Then as Stella and Stanley leave to go play bowling, a woman by the name of Blanche, who is Stella’s sister, is introduced. Blanches character seems very debonair to me, and she seems very stuck up; I feel this way because of the way that she analyzes where Stella lives.
Something else that throws me off about this book is the cover. The man on the cover I’m guessing is Stanley and he seems handsome, but the way he’s portrayed in the play makes him seem otherwise. Also the name “A Streetcar Named Desire” doesn’t make sense to me really which makes the book seem “off” to me but of course I’m not going to judge a book by its cover.
Now that I’ve passed scene two the book seems to make a bit more sense to me. Scene two is actually one of my favorite scenes so far because Stanley starts to show some true colors by questioning if Blanche really did lose Belle Reve, and why she would even lose it. I like this part of the book because this also makes me question Blanche’s character, and why she really is visiting Stella.

Journal 2: A Streetcar Named Desire
I have just read scene five and all that I have to say is WOW! I didn’t expect to just be drawn into this book the way that I have. So in scene three, what definitely made my jaw drop is when Stanley abuses Stella, his wife. What’s even more shocking to me is that she’s pregnant!! And also Stella goes back to Stanley after what he has done to her.
In scene four Blanche is expressing her opinion about Stanley to Stella. What I like about this scene is that Stella, although she blatantly defends her husband she doesn’t really seem to deny what Blanche is saying about Stanley. Also in this scene you get a little sense of Blanche’s craziness.
Scene five for me was really funny because Blanche is so random! So she’s going out on a date with Mitch and that makes her really nervous, but then she kisses some random guy. I really think she’s crazy and it just drives me mad as to how crazy she is. She still seems very debonair to me though,

Journal 3: A Streetcar Named Desire
I just finished the play and I absolutely loved it!! When I first started it I was very hesitant. Then once I got to the middle of the play I fell in love with it. I was a little confused by the last two scenes but then I completely understood what happens.
Two big things can be assessed in the last two scenes. In scene ten Blanche is drinking a lot after Mitch has told her off, because of her past. Stanley walks in as well and both of them start to drink. When I read this part, I definitely knew that trouble would come, because bad things always happen when someone is too drunk. In the last part of the scene Stanley attacks Blanche and rapes her. I was very surprised because I definitely didn’t expect the play to take such a turn. I think that Stanley rapes Blanche because the whole time that she’s been there she has made him realize what type of a scum he is, so he feels insecure about himself.
In the final scene of the play, I feel like Stella betrayed her sister because she sends her away to a mental institution. I think Blanche feels betrayed because Stella is her sister and should always be there with her, but instead Stanley fed Stella lies which made her believe that Stanley really didn’t do anything to Blanche but she was just making it up. The ending kind of made me mad because I actually had a lot of sympathy for Blanche, and felt that the only thing she needed was a chance.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with your first and second journal. At first I was like this is NOT very interesting at all. I felt it was just going to be another boring book we had to get through for school but as I actually sat there and read I began to be driven by each word to read more and more. Now I cant stop!
    -Zanovia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your analysis on Blanche's character. It was wrong for her to end up in the nut house, betrayed by her own family and friends. I did not expect this book to end on such a dark note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your journals! While I do agree with most of the points you address (particularly the ones in the first two), I find it as though Stanley's intentions in raping Blanche were fueled by his need to express his male physical and sexual dominance, rather than an attempt to reaffirm his sense of self-security because she made him feel like scum. Throughout the play, Stanley made it clear that he was the 'man' of the house, as he strutted about with his shirt off, and made numerous sexual innuendos (i.e. the throwing of the meat to Stella in the first scene). Thus, his raping of Blanche allowed him to feed his character while expressing his superiority, as he is viewed as lower in social status than her, and is able to "take over her" and rape her. I would even make the argument that Blanche's attempts to reveal how horrific a person Stanley truly is, only motivated him more to commit the horrible act. However, I do agree with the point you make about Blanche needing only a fair chance at life, one she truly was never able to obtain. Her psychological ramifications made it too difficult for her to live a life of normality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your view on Stella, Jessica! I also feel like stella is a backstabber towards her sister by letting stanley control what decision was made for Blanche, although i do not feel as much sympathy for Blanche as you do because she did lie to a lot of people and already lost her chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What i liked about scene two is that Stanley isnt really buying Blanches lies like Stella, but i still find him really rude and nasty, i found it unnecessary for him to throw his plate on the ground in scene eight, especially since it was Blanche's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, I like the fact that you were honest and you said the book didn't really draw you in at first, because I feel the same way. Then as the book went on I became more and more interested in Blanche and how crazy she is. I totally agree with how you said that only bad things come out of when someone's really really drunk, just like when Stanley raped Blanche. I also agree with you when you say you think he did it because of his insecurities, but I think he really did it because the entire play Blanche kept on making fun of Stanley and how she's beneath him, and I think a major part of him raping her was for him to show her that he's "more powerful" than she is, if that makes sense. And I feel bad for Blanche that she gets sent away, but I think she used up all of her chances! She's crazy, and she blew every chance she had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt the exact same way about Blanche in the beginning as well, and I totally agree on your analysis. Especially by the way she treated Eunice in scene one (she was so snooty ), and how awkward she felt when she first gets to her sister Stella's house ( as though she didnt belong anywhere near there). When Stanley hit his wife in scene five, I was also speechless. He literally came out of nowhere, and trashed every good thing I had thought about him in the beginning. I can also admire, however on the other hand question, Stella's defensive act towards Stanley when Blanche tells her, her opinion about him. I just really cannot imagine myself going back to a man who just punched me in the face. Stella...what were you thinking?! Listen to Blanche!

    ReplyDelete