Friday, July 8, 2011

Rafaella Gunz- Streetcar Named Desire #1

People always say don't judge a book by it's cover. When I first received "A Streetcar Named Desire," the cover completely threw me off. Since the man on it is shirtless and is quite muscular, I figured the book would be about a boxer or something of that sort. However, when I started to read it, I soon learned it was nothing of the kind.
The play, I suppose like anything, has it's dull moments in my opinion. Though in my mind, I am very curious about the character of Blanche. There seems to be something a little bit off about her. It seems like something traumatizing must have happened to her that brought her to Stella's house. Perhaps something to do with her husband's death. She also seems to carry a bit of animosity toward Stanley for some reason. She has yet to reveal too much about herself, but I look forward to learning more about her as well as the other characters.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your initial interpretation of the cover! When I personally think of Stanley, I imagine a grotesque, animal like, common individual, not a muscular, clean cut, poised man. I also agree with your thought on how the death of Blanche's husband scarred her emotionally for life.

    - Max

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your judgement on Blanche,i think she is traumatized by her husband's death. I also would like to see how Blanche an Stanley's relationship turns out because right now it doesn't really seem like they're getting along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also expected something completely different when I looked at the cover, but now I understand why the cover is what it is. The muscular man represents Stanley's manhood that becomes a main issue throughout the play as Blanche begins to challenge his manhood and Stanley immediately, like an animal in the wild, begins to fight superfluously to defend it.

    - Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rafaella I felt the same way. When I saw the cover and then actually read the first few chapters it had me completely messed up. I agree as well Blanches past has had a great impact on her emotionally, but I think that's why everyone that reads the book is so fascinated or interested by her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm embarrassed to say after finishing the book what my first impression was, hahaha. I also thought it was about a boxer, or a racer, based on the title. I still don't fully understand why it's called A Streetcar Named Desire, the only part I totally understand is "desire," because that's what the majority of the book is about, Blanche's desires.

    ReplyDelete